Paph Delrosi 'Bessie' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people say they have trouble flowering Delrosi. I have 2 small divisions and both have flowered as soon as the growth has matured. I haven't had to do anything special. I think I'm just lucky to have easy flowering clones.

Very nice!
I have a piece of this and it did'nt flower this year so I think its good growing on your part.

I'm kicking myself. Last year Johnston Orchids had 6 single growth Delrosis at the SAROC fair @ $10 each but as I had caught the train into town, I couldn't be bothered carrying them back to the station with all the other items I had bought. I rang Deane a few weeks ago to see if he still had them and indeed he did but he was at the Sydney orchid fair with the plants, 4 in flower. Lesson learned... Don't hesitate when it comes to buying slippers.

Mick

Very nice!
I have a piece of this and it did'nt flower this year so I think its good growing on your part.

I'm kicking myself. Last year Johnston Orchids had 6 single growth Delrosis at the SAROC fair @ $10 each but as I had caught the train into town, I couldn't be bothered carrying them back to the station with all the other items I had bought. I rang Deane a few weeks ago to see if he still had them and indeed he did but he was at the Sydney orchid fair with the plants, 4 in flower. Lesson learned... Don't hesitate when it comes to buying slippers.

Mick

How big is your piece Mick?

Yes, in this country you grab whatever you can get. $10 is incredibly cheap. I would have bought all 6 at that price. :)

How big is your piece Mick? It's about the size of your division with a half mature growth and a start.

Yes, in this country you grab whatever you can get. $10 is incredibly cheap. I would have bought all 6 at that price. :) They were dirt cheap and extremely good value considering 4 of the 6 flowered but I have a few and was looking for something different.

Mick

Sometimes the shock of going into a different environment will force these things to bloom. We have all heard the stories of such plants surviving for over a decade without blooming, then doing so within a year of sitting in a new greenhouse.

Or different Potassium concentration Bill;):evil:

You did a fine job David. The issue of blooming vs non-blooming Delrosi's could come down to "people not knowing the basic requirements" such as, the low K and higher minor elements. It would be interesting to see this theory put to the test.
!

I wonder how relevant the K is. Flowering each species is not that difficult, especially the delenatii. It seems when you put them in combination that the problems start which suggests to me another problem related to their genetic differences. Unless providing the best K levels possible enables them to overcome these problems.

Back