Paph Delrosi 'Bessie' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
First flowering division of this awarded clone. It is an AOS award so someone has imported it in to Australia from the US at one point. I saw it recently advertised in a US auction as an AM awarded clone so it may have been upgraded. It has a beautiful raspberry colour. My wife can be a bit indifferent to some of my Paphs but she is really taken with this one.

It had another bud which barely made it out of the growth and was deformed. This spike then came out a few weeks later. Strangely enough, I have another Delrosi in bud and it did exactly the same thing.

Paph Delrosi 'Bessie' HCC/AOS (rothschildianum x delenatii)

Good work David.
I can't seem to flower my Delrosi, which has 5 growths now. Somebody here suggested to dry the pot out ????

Good work David.
I can't seem to flower my Delrosi, which has 5 growths now. Somebody here suggested to dry the pot out ????

A lot of people say they have trouble flowering Delrosi. I have 2 small divisions and both have flowered as soon as the growth has matured. I haven't had to do anything special. I think I'm just lucky to have easy flowering clones.

Beautiful plant. The older roth part of the parentage is the problem wiht these not blooming. I'm kind of curious about the first bud stunting and deforming before the productive spike comes out. One of my plants did the same thing twice!!! .

Nice! I have an old Delrosi which has flowered twice in the last 10 years. This must be one of those NYEric is referring to.

Fantastic!!!!

Can you tell us about your growing conditions, emydura? Maybe you don't anything special but your growing conditions can be very different from mine!

Minimum temps - 15-16oC, humidity - generally 60%+, grow in bark, it sits with the multi-florals so it is pretty bright. Fertilised pretty heavily with low K and high levels of Ca and Mg.

Beautiful plant. The older roth part of the parentage is the problem wiht these not blooming. I'm kind of curious about the first bud stunting and deforming before the productive spike comes out. One of my plants did the same thing twice!!! .

It happens to me quite a but mostly with small plants. A super long ovary pops out of the growth. More often than not the flower is deformed. Then some time later a normal spike will come through. It happened to my haynaldianum recently. I wonder if I would have got 3 flowers if all the buds developed normally.

I don't think either of my Delrosi clones are recent breedings. Both awards were a while ago so they were probably made with old roth clones. It sounds like there are some Delrosi clones that won't flower no matter what you do.

This plant was awarded in 1988 in Philadelphia with an HCC/AOS of 75 points. It has not been raised to an AM. It is amazing how such plants can get around!

This plant was awarded in 1988 in Philadelphia with an HCC/AOS of 75 points. It has not been raised to an AM. It is amazing how such plants can get around!

Thanks for the information Bill. Really appreciate it. It probably came into Australia when it was a lot easier to import plants in. It is now very costly and risky (fumigation casualties).

You did a fine job David. The issue of blooming vs non-blooming Delrosi's could come down to "people not knowing the basic requirements" such as, the low K and higher minor elements. It would be interesting to see this theory put to the test.
I recently acquired an awarded clone from David Hunt, clone 'Vera Cruz'. He bloomed it once and got the award, it has never bloomed again. Upon repotting it fell apart into 3 pieces which I was obligated to share with two folks he named. Game on! Which of the three of us will bloom it first!

It's a beauty! I'm jealous of anyone who can make these bloom.

It will be interesting to see, Rick, if k-lite makes a difference in my blooming ratio.

You did a fine job David. The issue of blooming vs non-blooming Delrosi's could come down to "people not knowing the basic requirements" such as, the low K and higher minor elements. It would be interesting to see this theory put to the test.
I recently acquired an awarded clone from David Hunt, clone 'Vera Cruz'. He bloomed it once and got the award, it has never bloomed again. Upon repotting it fell apart into 3 pieces which I was obligated to share with two folks he named. Game on! Which of the three of us will bloom it first!

Sometimes the shock of going into a different environment will force these things to bloom. We have all heard the stories of such plants surviving for over a decade without blooming, then doing so within a year of sitting in a new greenhouse.

Latest posts

Back