Paph. delenatii var. vinicolor

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Saw this on ebay but it does not look like my dunkels, where are the dark leaf margins? http://cgi.ebay.com/Paph-DELENATII-VAR-VINICOLOR-DUNKEL-species_W0QQitemZ180339773314QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item180339773314&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I was thinking the same thing. By the way, this seller offered another one a few weeks ago using the same photo on the left. I assume that's a "representative" photo and that the bidder will receive the plant shown in the photo on the right. I don't see the dark margins on the leaves and the under side of the leaves isn't nearly as dark as it should be.

On another note, I purchased two delenatii's from Orchids Limited that are only half dunkel and they are both darker than the ones shown in the photos. Not sure what to think of the one offered on eBay other than it's not drawing in the bidders like a different dunkel offered on eBay recently from a different seller.

I purchased the previous offering from this vendor. The photo was not the same as either of the ones shown in the current listing, and I believe I received the compot of 2 shown in that photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180338342373

In person the leaves do have a distinct but very narrow dark edge, a slight suffusion of purple, and a darker leaf reverse than either of standard delenatii I own. I was not dissatisfied with the purchase.

Delenatii fma vinicolor has the dark leaf margins for sure, BUT I've noticed on more than fifty seedlings and several adult plants that new, upper leaves HAVE the margins very obvious as the leaves emerge and up to about half grown, but as the leaves mature, the margins dissipates a bit looking just like regular delenatii. The underside of the leaves is always heavily saturated though. I believe the seller that these are "dunkels". If you look at the image of Chuck Acker's plant here http://www.enlightenedorchids.com/SpecialsMarch2009.htm
You'll see the lower leaves are "normal looking". Since seedlings are typically grown a little shadier than adults, makes sense IMO.

-Ernie

The seller of the dunkels is also a member here, on ST. I'm sure he feels he is selling dunkels. That is as far as he can trust his suppliers.

Hi Rick,
I am not trying to discredit anyone specifically but the featured pictures didn't seem to match what I have in my collection and stock, which made me curious. I apologize if it came across in the wrong way as I did not intend to question a vendor's integrity. Over the years I have found that ebay has many dubious offerings. I believe I buy from the same supplier from which these plants originated, as do many of the slipper dealers in the nation and on the forum, and they have nothing but the best of Taiwan's offerings. I just want to be as accurate as possible in what I sell, and to advocate for others who may not have sufficient experience to buy wisely. I am sure this vendor is both reputable and honest--I was only commenting on a picture. I have a lot to learn about the slight differences that exist in this group of plants as well.
Rob

Hi guys, just saw the post and thought I would comment. I have listed the delenatii v. vinicolor on Ebay and each photo is of the actual compot for sale
( all the compots look amazingly the same) . For the record, these plants are from the most reliable and reputable wholesaler I have ever dealt with, so I believe without reservation they are truly delenatii v. vinicolor. They have a distinct dark purple upper leaf edge and very dark underside, unlike any other delenatii's I own. Off to orchid society meeting. Regards, Doug

Since the comments about this vendor are positive in this thread, could you tell me the Ebay name of this vendor? I have only used Ebay twice - for software - and it was a dismal experience for me. So I have avoided shopping orchids on Ebay as a result. If I knew the names of a few Ebay vendors with a good reputations, I would possibly begin shopping on Ebay.
Thanks
Leo

Leo,

He is potterychef1. I've purchased several plants from him in recent months and have always been pleased with the health and quality of each one. I would definitely recommend him to anyone.

I would also add that the software and electronics sellers on eBay are somewhat a different bunch than the people who are into plants. Some of the electronics sellers are a sketchy bunch. I have a better opinion of people who are into plants. You always have to check their feedback and also thoroughly read each listing, including the fine print, before bidding.

Best Regards,
Nik

Since the comments about this vendor are positive in this thread, could you tell me the Ebay name of this vendor? I have only used Ebay twice - for software - and it was a dismal experience for me. So I have avoided shopping orchids on Ebay as a result. If I knew the names of a few Ebay vendors with a good reputations, I would possibly begin shopping on Ebay.
Thanks
Leo

here's a thread - http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4455

I too love this seller and find Doug to be most upstanding and sells some of the best plants....(Ernie does too, by the way) One thing I can say is that if you have a question about his stuff, you should just ask him. He is most pleasant to deal with and will help resolve any issues that you bring up.

I too believe these are labeled correctly. I also believe that if there was something that really struck Doug as not correct, he would probably pull the listing.....

Just my 2 cents worth.

This is a great seller who has very nice plants......I have some of them.

Craig

Latest posts

Back