Paph delenatii flask

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I repotted them last weekend and I sure glad I did otherwise, some plant roots wont fit in a 2" pot. The roots are coming out of the compot.

The clump was easily let go of the tangled roots once they got unpotted.

7838460148_74297351e1_b.jpg

7838459432_38ba7980fa_b.jpg

Those babies sure look good and in such a short periof of time. Your killing me man. I think I better send everything to you to grow out for me.

Thanks Bob, I sure wish that I have more room as the other compots need to be repotted as well soon.

I will just concentrate on miniature species flask from now on.

I feed them with 1/4 strength of Dynagro. I never use RO water anymore and just use plain tap water. I think they like the calcium and magnesium in the water. I also feed with seaweed but not often. Maybe once or twice a month if I don't forget.

I used straight R/O for years and ran into lots of trouble with bacterial rot after a few years. Switched to 50/50 R/O and tapwater, along with a low-K formula, and haven't had problems since.

Those dels are nice--I am betting you will flower some in under 3 years from flask.

I used straight R/O for years and ran into lots of trouble with bacterial rot after a few years. Switched to 50/50 R/O and tapwater, along with a low-K formula, and haven't had problems since.

Those dels are nice--I am betting you will flower some in under 3 years from flask.

Thanks, I never water with pure water anymore same as you. Just straight from the tap. I never fertilize weekly as well. Just once every 2 weeks with very little feed. I do however feed with seaplex every week.

I have read somewhere that erwinia doesnt like calcium? These guys are getting fed with calcium and magnesium a lot. (I have hard water)

I have read somewhere that erwinia doesnt like calcium? These guys are getting fed with calcium and magnesium a lot. (I have hard water)

I've posted on this several times. Plants are predisposed to Erwinia when leaf tissue concentrations of K exceed Ca. But plants (especially epiphytes/orchids) will preferentially uptake K rather than Ca. And after a certain point the plant can't even uptake Ca, Mg, and phosphate any more. Using hard water helps keeps the balance lopsided towards Ca, especially if you are only sporadically using a high K fertilizer.

But I would keep my eyes open for a low K fertilizer. Scott's makes a turf grass formula that is something like 10-1-1, and may even have a cal/mag component (if you can't come up with K-lite).

eggshells was this flask from Ching-hua by any chance, I got a flask from them in singapore of delenatii, I cant remember the cross, but I know it was bred from particlarly fragrant clones.

Mine have grown very well too

Yes. I believe the two parents are fragrant. The chinese character is translated as "incense" or "fragrant". Not sure though as i just google translated it.

I've posted on this several times. Plants are predisposed to Erwinia when leaf tissue concentrations of K exceed Ca. But plants (especially epiphytes/orchids) will preferentially uptake K rather than Ca. And after a certain point the plant can't even uptake Ca, Mg, and phosphate any more. Using hard water helps keeps the balance lopsided towards Ca, especially if you are only sporadically using a high K fertilizer.

But I would keep my eyes open for a low K fertilizer. Scott's makes a turf grass formula that is something like 10-1-1, and may even have a cal/mag component (if you can't come up with K-lite).

I don't have klite right now. I did ask you before on how to stir up my own solution but I don't have the ingredients. Anyway, I ended up with so many fertilizers to last me a lifetime. MSU, Dynagrow, 10-52-10, calcum nitrate and MG sulfate I do have a plant prod 25-10-10 which. I asked the manufacturer about and this is the break down as follows:

The Nitrogen sources are: potassium nitrate, urea, ammonium sulphate.

The N breakdown is as following:
Nitrate Nitrogen 3.0%
Ammoniacal Nitrogen 7.6%
Urea Nitrogen 14.4%

I'm trying to avoid mixing fertilizer as long as I can avoids it. Maybe I will try and get klite if a group from here are planning to get some.

I repotted them last weekend and I sure glad I did otherwise, some plant roots wont fit in a 2" pot. The roots are coming out of the compot.

The clump was easily let go of the tangled roots once they got unpotted.

7838460148_74297351e1_b.jpg

7838459432_38ba7980fa_b.jpg

Thats some good growing there eggshells:clap:
I just wish those selling paph seedlings here put as much effort into growing healthy plants!! Most of the stuff I recieve comes with a few sick roots which need a good wash and then rehabilitation in the humidi-crib:mad:
But if I want them, I have no other choice. Luckily my nursing is becoming a fine art:rollhappy:

I found this regarding calcium and erwinia. Interesting read if anyone is interested in.

http://www.nzpps.org/journal/50/nzpp_505350.pdf

Progress Report

11/9/12

The runts (smallest of the flasklings) on the compot have caught up on the growth progress of the others.

8170210641_d224e94ec3_c.jpg

Back