Paph delenatii album versus albinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

I have a quick question.

We got one of our album delenatii's awarded. Should the correct term be Paph. delenatii album, or Paph. delenatii albinum? I have seen both terms used.

If anyone knows please let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct.
Guido described this form under this name.
album is only a tradename.

Best greetings

Olaf

Not quite correct, the delenatii fma. albinum used as a type specimen was slightly pinkish, therefore the delenatii fma. albinum is not an albino, but a semialbino. It can be seen on the original picture used to describe this form, regardless of the diagnosis.

so what you're saying is that the official description of the truely albino form is up for grabs!? :poke:

I call dibbs on this one!!

Sanderianum said:
Not quite correct, the delenatii fma. albinum used as a type specimen was slightly pinkish, therefore the delenatii fma. albinum is not an albino, but a semialbino. It can be seen on the original picture used to describe this form, regardless of the diagnosis.

Now I am confused. This is a picture of the awarded Paph. delenatii:

delalbum.jpg

This is a close up of the flower:

delalclose.jpg

Obviously there are no red pigments at all in the flower. So would it be incorrect to name it Paph. delenatii albinum? and if this is incorrect what should I call it?

Robert

Dear Sanderianum,
in the original description of the forma albinum in 'Genus Paphiopedilum' Vol 1 on page 73; 1998 no picture was published by Braem.
But in the latin and english description was written:
"The variety of Paphiopedilum delenatii differs from the typical form by the lack of any red pigmentation."
Where did you get your information, that it was not a true white form without red colour?
I can agree with you when you would write about his description of the albine form of micranthum. Here he showed in the same book a pale type and not a true albino.

Best greetings

Olaf

The official name for the white form of delenatii without any red or pink is
Paph. delenatii forma albinum.

Best greetings

Olaf

The official name for the white form of delenatii without any red or pink is
Paph. delenatii forma albinum.

Best greetings

Olaf

Thanks Olaf,

This is an old thread and based on Xavier's comment, I thought there may have been some changes since it was first posted. I must admit that I have been calling these album for some years but I'm happy to be corrected.

Regards and thanks, Mick

Back