Paph delenatii album - leaf color?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matthew, the red markings should've been evident even before you got the flask; meaning that the vendor deliberately sold you the wrong flask, or, at best, he sure is guilty of being quite careless. I don't know what you paid; but, I'd think that a nice flask of delenatii alba cost you big bucks and you deserved at least enough of an inspection by the vendor for him to see that it wasn't alba inside. After all, you took the time to count the money or fill out your cheque properly, didn't you.

You really deserve a thousand appologies from this guy and a whole crap load of large, true delenatii alba seedlings as replacement, not just another flask with tiny babies for you to start over with. This mistake could've and should've been caught at the time of sale, therefore, it should've never happened. Good luck!

John,

I agree, and actually... feel pretty stupid for not noticing and focusing on the markings when I compotted them (although they were much less distinct when the plants were smaller... they've grown a fair amount since that time). At the time, I bought a box of 20 flasks from this vendor and they were delivered to me in the flask (and unfortunately, a bit jumbled), so I wasn't as focused on this flask as I would have been if it had been a purchase of a single flask.

Maybe I'll get lucky and will really get some larger seedlings out of the deal... but I doubt it. I might get an extra flask, though.

- Matthew Gore

If any of you are interested, the vendor actually offered to send me seedlings as replacements for the flask... so I'm pretty happy. Still don't know what these seedlings are (in my compot), but they're working on figuring it out.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

gore42 said:
If any of you are interested, the vendor actually offered to send me seedlings as replacements for the flask... so I'm pretty happy. Still don't know what these seedlings are (in my compot), but they're working on figuring it out.

As Ever,
Matthew Gore
Excellent! That's very good of the vendor. I hope that you are pleased with the seedlings when they arrive.

Lance Birk said:
Albino plants have no red color.....ANYWHERE.

Yes, for "true" albino plants. However, the fact still remains that there are plants out there that are partially albinistic and breed true. It has been seen many times with P. micranthum, there are a number of clones out there that lack any pigmentation on the leaves or stems, yet have flowers with reduced pigmentation. These have proven to breed "true" when selfed, producing offspring with leaves lacking any pigmentation, yet flowers with reduced pigmentation.

While they are not "true" albinos, i.e. lacking pigmentation anywhere, they do display partial albinistic traits.

Other examples of this include P. mastersianum "album" (plant no longer alive). Leaves and flowers lacked any pigmentation, yet the stems were pigmented.

Again, P. emersonii, the two clones I have seen both had pigmented leaves yet the flower lacked any pigmentation. There also exists a "semi-album" P. emersonii. I have not seen the plant in person, yet I have been told the leaves lack any pigmentation. The only pigmentation seen is on the pouch.

In true albinism, the expression of tyrosinase is blocked completely. However, this pathway can be blocked at different stages, leading to slight production of colour, i.e. partial albinism.

Here is an example of a P. micranthum that exhibits this partial albinistic trait.

Photograph of leaves:
Paphmicranthum(var)eburneum(fma)album(topview).jpg

Photograph of stem and bud, note the hairs on the spike are also green/white:
em23.jpg

Photograph of plant and flower starting to open, note pigmentation on the petals:
eb1-18-c.jpg

Photograph of pigmented spots inside the pouch, not the greatest photo:
ebinside.jpg

Photograph of the flower again:
eb1-19.JPG

Thanks for the insight, Lien. It's always interesting to see the variation... especially in these complete and partial albinistic forms. Beautiful micranthum, as usual :)

- Matt

The vendor informed me that it would take 2-3 weeks for the permits, then it usually takes about a week for shipping something small like this by EMS, so... I'd say 3-4 weeks I'll have them. I may wait for them to get established before selling them, though... we'll see what condition they arrive in. I'll keep you posted.

- Matt

Back