Paph. curtisii or superbiens?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have one in flower now, I researched a bit. There are two clones that got awarded posted in this months AOS mag. I also compared your flower with the one posted on Neeri Orchids and your flower resembles the superbiens. Color and staminode are very semilar.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Here is a reminder for all
https://goo.gl/images/Fgr81Z

As Valenzino posted earlier, the true superbiens has yet to makes its re-appearence. I recently purchased a plant from Popow which is boasted to be the Real Superbiens.
When it blooms I will post.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

There is also an article "An Updated, Annotated Checklist of the Genus Paphiopedilum" by Harold Koopowitz published in Orchid Digest on Oct-Nov 2012. He stated that " var curtisii has shorter and more pendulous and twisted petals that differentiate this variety". That "the shape of the dorsal sepal is shorter and squatter, while the triangular heavy pouch tends to dominate the flower".

As I mentioned, AOS (June 2017) just posted two clones as Paph superbiens receiving an AM Award owned by Hilo Orchid Farm. Basing on Koopowitz article, these two resembles the description of v. curtisii.
So if Valenzino is right, Popow may not have either. Dazed and confused.

curtisii .... the true superbiens was long time lost and many curtisii only because have a paler colour etc...were labelled as superbiens...
recently in last 3-4 years,again true superbiens was rediscovered,showing is something different...
I dont have photos now,but here a link of an example...not the best but starts giving an idea:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e2/d8/10/e2d810b35c592d0b32d292980eab8631.jpg

Yes!
Curtisii, the plant described as 'superbiens' was lost to culture, but by accounts new examples of what was originally described as superbiens have been redound and are fin dining their way back into collections (or so I understand)

Latest posts

Back