Paph cross question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bluefirepegasus

Hi there everyone! I have a question about my paph cross.

I do not know if my cross has a registered name. I don't think it does. It is:

Paph Somers Isles 'Jumbo' x Paph Hsinying Majakun

I was wondering with this partiuclar hybrid.....does it like to be wet all the time you think? I have heard of some people growing their paphs and phrags in water. But then again I have also heard that some paphs like to be only semi wet and even like to dry between watering.

Right now I am keeping the plant mostly wet, but sometimes letting it dry out a bit between waterings.

Should I change its care? Should I put it in a shallow water tray or should I just keep on the way I am right now?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Bluefirepegasus

howdy
you could put it above the water to have the water evaporate up as in a humidity tray but paphs do not like to sit in water. many phrags do, but not all...

:eek:Definitely not sitting in water. The roots will rot!
There are some paphs that like more moisture but most of these need good drainage at the same time.

I was thinking not sitting in water...but I have heard a lot of rumors. It can get very confusing. So......if it is not registered does that mean I can name it?

Bluefirepegasus

No, the hybridizer that made the cross is entitled to name it. You could give it your own clonal name, however.

You can name it, when you are the originator of the cross or when you have the permission of the originator.
When you don't know the originator then you can name it also, but you must write in the application that the originator is unknown.

Best greetings

Olaf

When you don't know the originator then you can name it also, but you must write in the application that the originator is unknown.

True, but most people won't go through the effort or cost of registration unless they get an award on it.

Well, in that case then I shall try to get in contact with the grower. I know where I got it from I just don't know who it came from.

It did get a first place in a local show. It was just first place in its class that day. I think many people wouldn't consider that very special....but it was my first show so I think I will try and get it named or registered if it doesn't have one.

Thanks for the info.

And I am just keeping it wet from time to time and still letting it dry between waterings. It is outside on my porch protected from direct sun. I think it likes it out there. The blossom got huge! I didn't know it would get that big.

Bluefirepegasus

Thank you for being so helpful and imformative everyone! It makes things much easier for me. I didn't even know where to start with the whole name or no name register thing.

:)

Bluefirepegasus

Latest posts

Back