Paph Crazy Jolly 'Big Time' x Lippewunder 'Humongous'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
From Sam, a super vigorous grower that's now forming a nice clump. This is the second blooming, the first bloom last year was a mess, but the flower was enormous so I figured I'd give it a second chance. Overall, it improved quite a bit, but the flower is smaller this year, and still pretty cupped. It's getting to be a space hog, so if I decide to not give it a third chance, it may be looking for a new home once it finishes blooming. I tried taking a picture with a black background, but it really washes out the color. The first picture matches what I see in person.
IMG_5968.JPGIMG_5945.JPG

I agree, and it’s different from all the red and amber colored-ones I have, I just wish it would open a little flatter!

To be honest, I love the color! The broad white edge to the dorsal is attractive. The pastel pink pouch overlay adds something. Was the pouch slightly skewed or tilted left on its first blooming?
I can see where it appears to be cupped but even if it was flatter, those petals seem to be a little short to me lengthwise.
Good luck with your decision.

A lot of 'show' complexes are 'packed' with cotton wool with a label etc holding it in place which is wedged between the staminode and the lip. (I dont have a photo). Some people use cut paper plates which they cut and stick to form a concave shape and place one behind and one (with cutout for lip) in front and sandwich the cotton wool - this flattens the flower until it 'sets' after a few days.

I remember hearing that referred to as "dressing." If you're just doing it for your own amusement, have at it. For entering in (US) shows or judging, it's a no-no. Same with breeding flowers, you'd want ones that are naturally flat.
There are some things you can do without "breaking the rules", though. One would be to bloom it in high humidity, the second would be to stake it straight and, once the dorsal has lifted, stake the ovary so the whole flower faces slightly upward, which will help the petals fall into position.

Last edited:
A lot of 'show' complexes are 'packed' with cotton wool with a label etc holding it in place which is wedged between the staminode and the lip. (I dont have a photo). Some people use cut paper plates which they cut and stick to form a concave shape and place one behind and one (with cutout for lip) in front and sandwich the cotton wool - this flattens the flower until it 'sets' after a few days.
Interesting, but I’d probably damage the flower, or worse yet, break it somehow.

I remember hearing that referred to as "dressing." If you're just doing it for your own amusement, have at it. For entering in (US) shows or judging, it's a no-no. Same with breeding flowers, you'd want ones that are naturally flat.
There are some things you can do without "breaking the rules", though. One would be to bloom it in high humidity, the second would be to stake it straight and, once the dorsal has lifted, stake the ovary so the whole flower faces slightly upward, which will help the petals fall into position.
I guess I didn’t realize how much high humidity affects flower shape/presentation. What % are you talking, for example?

I call it grooming lol. Like show dogs.
Leslie, I did learn from you how to separate or turn flowers (catts mostly) so they present properly. I sometimes do that so they are not crowded, but it’s a very delicate procedure and timing can sometimes be impossible when “life” gets in the way. After clerking two shows recently, I realize how very different some judges can be in their views.

I don't think there is a correct humidity number, more like a range. You can't say 40% humidity is too low or 45% is just right.
Humidity would be a minor role player to me, it will be a combination of environmental factors such as ideal temperature, proper light and ample water at the roots. If a flower opens with lower humidity, warmer temperatures and inadequate water at the roots, it can't fully expand. Think of an orchid flowers composition. What is it, 90% water, 95%, 98%? I imagine that good humidity helps it to flatten out, to open fully but I would think that ample moisture, humidity and regular watering should maximize size.

I don't think there is a correct humidity number, more like a range. You can't say 40% humidity is too low or 45% is just right.
Humidity would be a minor role player to me, it will be a combination of environmental factors such as ideal temperature, proper light and ample water at the roots. If a flower opens with lower humidity, warmer temperatures and inadequate water at the roots, it can't fully expand. Think of an orchid flowers composition. What is it, 90% water, 95%, 98%? I imagine that good humidity helps it to flatten out, to open fully but I would think that ample moisture, humidity and regular watering should maximize size.
Hmmm, you have me thinking…. I have one of Hadley’s seedlings that opened beautifully flat and round on 1st bloom yet 3rd bloom never fully opened. I will study the differences in my conditions. Thx.

To be honest, I love the color! The broad white edge to the dorsal is attractive. The pastel pink pouch overlay adds something. Was the pouch slightly skewed or tilted left on its first blooming?
I can see where it appears to be cupped but even if it was flatter, those petals seem to be a little short to me lengthwise.
Good luck with your decision.
This is the first blooming, fully open and expanded. A complete mess, but HUGE. The photo doesn't do justice to the size of the flower. In terms of form, the second blooming is significantly improved, but I'm not sure it's going to continue to improve. It's already a multi-growth plant, and the conditions in my home aren't going to significantly improve, so this years bloom may be as good as it gets. If that's the case, I'll probably try to re-home it since it's a vigorous grower and reliable bloomer.
2020-11-28.jpg

I have a few of these and it is a pretty solid cross. Lots of darker reds. You may find that the red intensifies if you grow it a bit cooler. Or you may not. It works with phrags... :)

Back