Paph (Coorong x Wellconabe) '#4' & '#5'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#4- Not pretty. The dorsal was folded over and the synsepal does not "lock down" the dorsal. The pouch is bad.
PaphCoorongxWellconabe4.jpg

#5- A bit nicer with a second bud
PaphCoorongxWellconabe5.jpg

I can't see myself getting to the point where I give up plants unless I'm going to move or become destitute. I think I would fill up my apartment and have only the bed to sit on before I stopped collecting orchids. :crazy:

Ross, how many chances/bloomings do you give them before they get the boot?

It depends on what good qualities the flower has. #4, for instance has only wide petals to recommend it. The colors are blah and the notch in the pouch would probably be there on subsequent bloomings, is my guess. Therefore, I won't bother reblooming this one. #5, however has much nicer color, better shape and a double flower. I will probably keep this one to rebloom. The only other one from this cross I've kept, so far is #1, which is currently in bud, again.

If I like something about a flower, I will rebloom it until it has at least three to five healthy growths. That usually makes three bloomings. On average, I'll keep 1-3 plants from a flask after seeing the blooms. Sometimes I don't keep any.

With the Paph Barbilights, I've bloomed or budded about 20, numbered and photographed 12 and plan on keeping 4 for reblooming. I also have another dozen or so yet to bloom. The unnumbered ones that were in bud and sold before blooming were done so because the growth habit of the plant was larger than I wanted.

Latest posts

Back