Paph (Coorong x Wellconabe)'#2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second from this flask to bloom for me.
PaphCoorongxWellconabe2.jpg

Growing in a 2 1/2 inch pot
PaphCoorongxWellconabe2plant.jpg

For comparison, '#1'
PaphCoorongxWellconabe1.jpg

It's amazing how much variation you get with complex hybrids with shape, color and size. All of that genetic material combining in different ways.....

I have three more in bud and a friend has another in bud. I'm looking forward to seeing the next four. This is the reason I buy flasks, compots, and multiple seedlings: to enjoy the variation.

Can I be honest without hurting your feelings? I don't care for the two pictured. IMHO the color is muddy with color breaks and the form isn't what I'd like to see. I have to admit I've gotten to the stage where it's hard for me to look past defects. I've got one seedling that just bloomed out for me with a color streak on it's dorsal and it drives me nuts. Maybe they'll bloom out stronger as they age.

Can I be honest without hurting your feelings? I don't care for the two pictured. IMHO the color is muddy with color breaks and the form isn't what I'd like to see. I have to admit I've gotten to the stage where it's hard for me to look past defects. I've got one seedling that just bloomed out for me with a color streak on it's dorsal and it drives me nuts. Maybe they'll bloom out stronger as they age.

I think it is harder to control the color pattern on the hybrids, it just seems they have more random break & streak (when you combine two different sets of pattern together) where as the species seem to have defined pattern.
Maybe the more complex the hybrids the more challenging they are. The third picture does look kind of nice.

Thank you for your comments, Candace. And no, my feelings aren't hurt by honest opinions. My purpose in posting is not to necessarily elicit "pretty flower" responses, although they are always nice to hear. My purpose is to show what the variation of different crosses are, warts and all. As Roy said in a previous posting, too often all we see are the best one or two flowers of a cross and conclude that this must be a good cross, not having seen all the OK, mediocre, and downright ugly examples. That's why I resurrect previously posted pictures to compare the newest with.

What I find interesting is that in the same cross we have one flower with a white/cream background finely spotted with maroon spots on the petals and pouch which creates a rose/cinnamon color, and a dorsal with larger, clear maroon spots. The other flower, while not as good a form, has a yellow background covered with maroon brushing. That's why I look forward to seeing the others as they bloom. Who knows how they will turn out? It's that curiosity that keeps me blooming out seedlings.:)

Latest posts

Back