Paph concolor variety??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's one plant, 1 inflourescence 2 flowers, got it from tony at lets talk plants some years ago, not sure of the variety, looks to be striatum without the petal midstripe, not sure

The petals and dorsel are more narrow without the center stripe, so it's identity confuses me, I like it anyways

I'm not an expert, but have been raising orchids since 1972. Your concolor has petals as wide or narrow as about half the "ordinary" collected concolor I've seen. Back in the pre CITES days Hausermann's used to have hundreds of imported concolors, this would be in "the middle of the pack". We're spoiled, used to seeing seedlings from select parents, each bigger and rounder than the previous.

Just an ordinary concolor, which is nice. Because it grows and blooms for you. A plant that grows and blooms is to be relished.

It ... looks to be striatum without the petal midstripe, not sure

My first fleeting thought, too....but I think Leo in his comment is spot on! We've got so used to see line breedings of this variety, that we might have difficulties in recognizing clones closer to the original and naturally occurring plants.

The same, I find, holds truth for godefroyaes/leucochilums...I have at the moment a very neat godefroyae in bloom at home - the plant is well grown and the flower is neat, sizewise nothing compared to the line bred clones, one mainly sees these days.

I love and cherish it, anyhow - and actually, exactly because of its closeness to the naturally occurring plants (doesn't mean that I'm not also a sucker for the line bred ones, though, or should I say: unfortunately!! :D :D)

Kind regards,
Jens

A downside to this one is it requires temps 85 or above, almost lost it at 65 degree nights, it may be 1st generation captivity

My first fleeting thought, too....but I think Leo in his comment is spot on! We've got so used to see line breedings of this variety, that we might have difficulties in recognizing clones closer to the original and naturally occurring plants.

The same, I find, holds truth for godefroyaes/leucochilums...I have at the moment a very neat godefroyae in bloom at home - the plant is well grown and the flower is neat, sizewise nothing compared to the line bred clones, one mainly sees these days.

I love and cherish it, anyhow - and actually, exactly because of its closeness to the naturally occurring plants (doesn't mean that I'm not also a sucker for the line bred ones, though, or should I say: unfortunately!! :D :D)

Kind regards,
Jens

Well said! I would be interested to see a pic of your neat godefroyae.

Latest posts

Back