Paph. concolor, variety question

• Thread starter Paph_LdyMacBeth
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Paph_LdyMacBeth

A friend of mine posted this paph concolor he grew.
It was purchased as a seedling from Clouds Orchids as Paph concolor x sib. Clouds has confirmed this was a seed grown plant and not a clone.
Two things strike me as unusual about it 1)its multi floral habit 2) the colouration -particularly the line on the petals

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts with regards to the variety? I am certainly a newbee when it comes to taxonomy and identification, but it doesn't look like straight concolor to me. http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphiconcolor.htm

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 1185458_10152321456693000_130400572_n.jpg
    1185458_10152321456693000_130400572_n.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 1969140_10152321456843000_938756317_n.jpg
    1969140_10152321456843000_938756317_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 85
It looks like just plain Paph concolor to me, though a nice one. The line tends to show up more frequently in some varieties, but it is variable in all cases, and plenty of plants not identified as any particular variety do have a line.

Even if this looked to be a clear match for a variety, without knowing that the parent plants were identified as that variety you can't give it that name. It just isn't appropriate to apply a variety name except to competently identified wild collected plants, or plants propagated from only those plants. There are many plants out there from between variety crosses or parents of unidentified variety that can never be referred to one variety or another.

Also, Paph concolor is commonly 1-2 flowered, but 3 isn't really unusual, and even 4 or 5 is not impossible. Most species are far more variable than looking at a few pictures might lead one to believe.

Nothing unusual about the bi-floral habit. Mine throws bi-floral spikes most of the time. I've even seen pictures (might have even been here on Slippertalk) of one that had three flowers/spike.

Years ago, AnTec used a concolor that routinely had 4 flowers per stem as a parent to produce more concolors. It was concolor 'Quarte' or 'Quartte' what ever the correct spelling is. I routinely get 3 flowers and occasionally 4, on my 3 different clones of concolor, so multiple flowers per stem is not unusual at all. Your plant looks all concolor to me.

Um, there only seem to be 2 of us noting that the spots form lines centrally on the lateral and dorsal petals! Do normal concolor do that?

Yes, as the lady said, they do that! I've been around long enough to have seen large groups of imported concolor (the 1980's at Hausermann's, and Oak Hill Gardens) The spots arranged to form lines was pretty common. Majority were more random, but I would guess, if memory served me right maybe 15% more or less would actually be arranged in lines. For what ever it is worth. You almost never see more than one or two unrelated plants together in one place anymore. If you see a group of concolor in bloom these days, they tend to be all from one seed pods. Gone are the days of importers bringing in plants by the bushel.

Is it just me, or do the photos listed as chlorophyllum look like album longipetalums!?!? I'll take a pound of those for sure!!!
Ditto and I'll split it with you.

Back