Paph. concolor var. striatum.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey GuRu, thanks for excerpt. Could you please translate it for us English speakers lol? I want to be educated on this topic as well. Many thanks!

Leslie, it's a pleasure. Excerpt from 'Die Orchidee' 53(6) 2002
"In 1996 HERBERT BILLENSTEINER from the Palmengarten Frankfurt wrote in the 'Journal für den Orchideenfreund' about the existence of such plants in southern Thailand. They are supposed to grow in an area which is situated between the occurrences of Paph. callosum and Paph. barbatum. It is said that the plants of Paph. potentianum grow on an unnamed mountain at an altitude that lies between the altitudes of the other two species. While Paph. callosum grows in the higher, cooler region, the occurrence of Paph. barbatum lies in the lower, warmer region."

Beautiful Paphs. I notice you are growing them in terracotta pots? I have been thinking about doing that for some of my slipper orchids (I already do so for Cattleyas and Dendrobiums).
Hi Kate
Sorry for the delay. I grow in clay only because I’m in the house an for me it’s easier to ‘not’ over water in clay. Heat/air change how fast my plants dry out and the in-between times are the hardest for me. I do have about 1000 plants in plastic pots but they are seedlings and they are clear plastic so I can see what’s going on. If I had a greenhouse I would probably use plastic for all of my Paphiopedilum

good Google-translation:

In 1996, HERBERT BILLENSTEINER from the Palmengarten Frankfurt wrote in the 'Journal für die Orchideenfreund' about the existence of such plants in southern Thailand. They are said to grow in an area between the occurrences of Paph. Callosum and Paph. Barbatum. The plants of the Paph. potentianum are said to occur on an undisclosed mountain at an altitude that lies between the altitudes of the other two species. While Paph. callosum grows in the higher, cooler region, the occurrences of Paph. barbatum are in the lower, warmer region. "

this fits better to my understanding of callosum, barbatum and potentianum.
all 0ne species or varieties of callosum or?
and there is more in the callosum-world

Variations of Paphiopedilum callosum in Vietnam by AVERYANOW
available as PDF on Google
he mentioned another habitat for potentianum

sorry, its off topic

Latest posts

Back