Paph. concolor var. striatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice flower... does anyone know where the name ‘var. striatum’ came from? I have several of them myself. I brought one to Judging and discovered that it’s not an accepted varietal name. One of the judges sent Olaf Gruss an email for me. His response was it was just a regular concolor form which are often seen in wild populations. He was not suggesting that these are from the wild but that they have been selectively bred over the years to remain this way. Personally, I’m not sure... no offense to Olaf or anyone else that knows way more than I do. I have a couple dozen concolor and none of them have leaves like the ‘striatum’ I have. Concolor leaves have way less ‘substance’. The color is different and the type of pattern is way different. The leaves on ‘striatum’ are more like the leaves on var. longipetalum which by many experts is now considered to be a separate species -Paphiopedilum josianae. The flowers on my ‘striatum’ have all been very flat also which I wish was the case with all the concolor floweres I’ve bloomed. As a breeder ‘striatum’ was not worth anything to me if it was just an inferior concolor so I was going to get rid of them all. But then upon noticing how different the plants were from my regular concolor I decided to keep them for now. Maybe they’re a var. of josianae?BA90BA99-766D-4635-9CA5-557D9F1333A4.jpeg 7425DAE2-33EC-48BE-BB4B-D9494AB10F55.jpeg 72A44600-5E89-4B4D-B180-0D6EDB6FC112.jpeg

F5A3DD3C-DF3D-47C6-89A8-15889B2C2D40.jpeg
Very nice flower... does anyone know where the name ‘var. striatum’ came from? I have several of them myself. I brought one to Judging and discovered that it’s not an accepted varietal name. One of the judges sent Olaf Gruss an email for me. His response was it was just a regular concolor form which are often seen in wild populations. He was not suggesting that these are from the wild but that they have been selectively bred over the years to remain this way. Personally, I’m not sure... no offense to Olaf or anyone else that knows way more than I do. I have a couple dozen concolor and none of them have leaves like the ‘striatum’ I have. Concolor leaves have way less ‘substance’. The color is different and the type of pattern is way different. The leaves on ‘striatum’ are more like the leaves on var. longipetalum which by many experts is now considered to be a separate species -Paphiopedilum josianae. The flowers on my ‘striatum’ have all been very flat also which I wish was the case with all the concolor floweres I’ve bloomed. As a breeder ‘striatum’ was not worth anything to me if it was just an inferior concolor so I was going to get rid of them all. But then upon noticing how different the plants were from my regular concolor I decided to keep them for now. Maybe they’re a var. of josianae?View attachment 16314 View attachment 16315 View attachment 16316
Thanks, Phred.

If you go to this link https://www.researchgate.net/profil...m_josianae/links/5431196a0cf277d58e96de06.pdf you will see two forms of josianae. Additionally, there’s a photo included of its staminode. Above is a closer photo of the staminode on my orchid, for comparison with the staminode photo by Braehm at the above link.

Last edited:
I prefer the striatum variety, I like the cone shaped pouch that has more fine spotting than the regular concolor and the spotted line down the middle of longer & thinner petals than regular concolor, the person that told you that only awards paphs if they are flat and round lol...

Back