Paph concolor var. longipetalum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jorch

Opened today, although I think it might do a wee bit more stretching in the coming days.

IMG_0035Small.jpg

close up on the alien-bug-eye staminode, I find it extremely creepy

IMG_0034Small.jpg

Hope the bloom will still be in good shape for our show in 4 weeks! There is a judging session tomorrow, but I don't think this flower is "special" enough to earn any awards :confused:

Looks great, I got a couple of them. Shouldn't be long until they bloom.

Kyle

Innnnnterrrrrresssstingggggggg! Funny...if it were a hybrid, I might go for it. But as a concolor....hmmmmmm......maybe to make my collection more complete....but only at a very reasonable price. Definitely different....Take care, Eric

...I think found in thailand...maybe near the border of burma?

I purchased one last January and the plant was imported by the German nursery/vendor from a Thai nursery. Unfortunately mine hasn't flowered yet therefore it's nice to see it blooming in collections of other members.
@ Jorch
The staminode looks a bit odd compared to other species but you must be very timorous if you think it was creepy. :rollhappy:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

The staminode looks a bit odd compared to other species but you must be very timorous if you think it was creepy. :rollhappy:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Yes.. I am not fond of anything bug-related :p Esp the staminode is so glossy it reflects a lot of light which makes it seem like a pair of bug eyes. eeww.. :poke::p

Makes me wonder.....not only the petal shape, but the coloration....I would think that this should be considered a different species. I see far greater differences between this plant and concolor than I see between niveum and thaianum....certainly more difference than I see between barbatum and callosum, especially the sublaeve/thalandense types...and given the love of splitting that so many taxonomists have, I'm rather surprised that it hasn't been segregated into a new species....Take care, Eric

I'm inclined to think this plant is either a natural hybrid or a new species. Using the principals Koopowitz applies to the separation of maliponse and jackii. Staminode shape and color, and the overall flower size and shape could be applied to this plant and concolor. In this link you will find Koopowitz's reasoning for species status of jackii.
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchidtalk/paph_doc.pdf

Latest posts

Back