Paph. concolor var. longipetalum & Paph. Leeanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete

Reaction score
Ive had a few of these concolor var. longipetalum for some years and they never really did much of anything until recently when 2 of them started growing like mad and went into bud! i didnt photograph the other one but this is the one in flower now. I would be hard pressed to consider this only a variety of concolor and not a good species. its not even the same morphologically. as you can kind of see in the photo, the leaves look much more similar to niveum than concolor in their shape and coloration.
IMG_1315.jpg

this is a Paph. Leeanum that is also flowering now and has ten spikes on it, some are not quite as far along as others. it is a primary hybrid between insigne and spicerianum.
IMG_1317.jpg

Very nice, Pete :) I have to agree, the plant of concolor var. longpetalum does look more like niveum than concolor.

BTW, do you grow cool hybrids like Leeanum under the same shadehouse with all the other warm-loving paphs (multis and brachys) in Hawaii? Any special treatment to bloom the Leeanum?

Beautiful blooms! Especially like the Leeanum blooms! Remarkable plant! Great growing!

Wow! on top of that, it seems like you have a very large/nice paph collection there!

Nice. Yes, we have discussed the taxonomy of longipetalum before. I'm with you. Even as a lumper it is hard to believe this one is not distinct enough to warrant being classified as a species in its own right.

David

The dorsal is defenitly not a concolor pattern. The color, the pouch and staminode is only thing that looks like a concolor to me.

Dot,

I have one that is labeled 'striatum', so I think they may be the same. I picked it up at the WOC form one of the Asian vendors. Very dark foliage compared to regular concolor, even the markings on the underside of the leaves is very dark. The picture looks like maybe a natural hybrid between concolor and the subgenus Paphiopedilum, exul or villosum or druryi.

It has been growing very well for me the last year and I hope it will bloom sometime in 2010, just my luck it will probably blast!! It is definitely one of those mystery plants that you just want to bloom to find out what you really have. If it turns out to be the same as what is posted in this thread I will eventually self it, right now it is just a single growth.

Scott

It really just looks like a hybrid of concolor and something like villosum to me.
Whatever it IS, it's clearly not included in concolor the species.

ya when you see the leaves they are 100% brachy. you can tell by their shape, size, color, succulent nature, everything.

my plant came from a friend in europe.

Dot,

I have one that is labeled 'striatum', so I think they may be the same. I picked it up at the WOC form one of the Asian vendors. Very dark foliage compared to regular concolor, even the markings on the underside of the leaves is very dark. The picture looks like maybe a natural hybrid between concolor and the subgenus Paphiopedilum, exul or villosum or druryi.

It has been growing very well for me the last year and I hope it will bloom sometime in 2010, just my luck it will probably blast!! It is definitely one of those mystery plants that you just want to bloom to find out what you really have. If it turns out to be the same as what is posted in this thread I will eventually self it, right now it is just a single growth.

Scott
Hi Scott!
I'll look forward to that!
I think striatum is the same, also. I just purchased a Paph. concolor var. khanburi from Thanh -- I've never heard of this variety and couldn't find anything about it. But he sent me a picture -- it looks like a cross between a regular concolor and a longipetalum. We'll see...

Thanks, Pete.

Hi Scott!
I'll look forward to that!
I think striatum is the same, also. I just purchased a Paph. concolor var. khanburi from Thanh -- I've never heard of this variety and couldn't find anything about it. But he sent me a picture -- it looks like a cross between a regular concolor and a longipetalum. We'll see...

Thanks, Pete.

Dot,

Sounds interesting, I just checked my books and I couldn't find anything on khanburi. concolor has amazing variation as a species, it should be interesting to see what we have down the road.

In 2005 I bloomed a concolor from Khanburi, actually the tag has "Chamburi" I suspect the correct place name is Kanchanaburi as stated by Paphioboy. It is a province near the Burma-Thailand border. It is "all" concolor, but I can see how one might say it is half way to concolor var longipetalum. Vegetatively it was no different than any other concolor, it does have a lot of red under the leaves, but many concolor do also. It may still be in the collection, though I don't remember seeing it lately. :confused: another one lost somewhere in the collection.
concolor51a.jpg

Last edited:
Back