Paph. coccineum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myxodex

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a Paph. barbigerum but came across this Paph. coccineum in bud a few weeks ago.
Cheers,
Tim

Attachments

• P_coccineum13.jpg
    P_coccineum13.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 82
  • P_coccineum23.jpg
    P_coccineum23.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 69
There are now quite a few nurseries in the EU offering both P. helenae and P. coccineum. Also there is already a hybrid with P.helenae being offered. Presumably it will not be long now given these species are being propagated here in Europe. Surely the best protection for these species would now be to allow nurseries to raise plants as globally as possible and release the pressure on wild collected plants? Conservation is a double edged sword, we need to get the balance right to achieve maximum protective effectiveness.
Cheers,
Tim

Hi all,
Thanks for the comments. Following what I have said about conservation, I feel
that I should probably self this plant and give the pod to someone here who can flask and distribute the offspring. I have no commercial interest but would like to be part of the process of making this plant less rare in cultivation. However I am a beginner and I'm not sure whether a plant with three growths and a fourth just started is mature enough to support producing a pod? I'd be grateful if any of you could offer advice on this issue.
Cheers,
Tim

myxodex said:
Hi all,
Thanks for the comments. Following what I have said about conservation, I feel
that I should probably self this plant and give the pod to someone here who can flask and distribute the offspring. I have no commercial interest but would like to be part of the process of making this plant less rare in cultivation. However I am a beginner and I'm not sure whether a plant with three growths and a fourth just started is mature enough to support producing a pod? I'd be grateful if any of you could offer advice on this issue.
Cheers,
Tim

If the plant has good roots and is not stressed in any other way, such as bugs or bacterial infection, it should be OK to pollinate. Matt recently posted a great pictorial on how to pollinate a Paph. http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091

Back