Paph. coccineum albine form

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great display....this plant with compact leaves bears 8 wonderful flowers at the same time. Congrats!
What I'm wondering all the time is.....how do you distinguish P. coccineum album from P. barbigerum album?

What a great display....this plant with compact leaves bears 8 wonderful flowers at the same time. Congrats!
What I'm wondering all the time is.....how do you distinguish P. coccineum album from P. barbigerum album?

GuRu, there are some signs to distinguish these. For example the leaves: coccineum has very stiff leaves while the leaves of barbigerum are kind of floppy. The stem of coccineum is upright not arced (but some coccineum have week stems too) and holds the flower way above the leaves. The dorsal of coccineum is an artwork in three dimensions, while the one of barbigerum is softly waved. P. coccineum doesn't flower as late in the year as barbigerum and it's flower does last longer.

I have albine forms of both of them, coccineum as well as barbigerum. The grow nearly side by side, but barbigerum doesn't like as much light as coccineum does.

I hope this helps.

GuRu, there are some signs to distinguish these. .........................I have albine forms of both of them, coccineum as well as barbigerum. The grow nearly side by side, but barbigerum doesn't like as much light as coccineum does..........

Thanks a lot for your explanation. If you accept of both being true species, which seems to be the state at the moment, you have to accept that there are two different albine forms. And I was asking because I thought you showed P. barbigerum album here already before?

I always think I don’t care for albums. Then I see this. Whoa. How old is this plant? This is one plant? Not multiple seedlings?
Yes, the Paph on the picture is one plant. I think I have this one for more then ten years, but I don't remember exactly. From time to time I make a division for selling. But it is a rare thing ...

Thanks a lot for your explanation. If you accept of both being true species, which seems to be the state at the moment, you have to accept that there are two different albine forms. And I was asking because I thought you showed P. barbigerum album here already before?

Here are two pics for comparison:
the first one is P. coccineum, the second one is barbigerum

coccineum-semialbum2020_DSC8155_HF.jpg barbigerum_fibre_DSC00934.jpg

What a gorgeous display, Chris! A gloriously well grown, specimen plant - kudos in spades!

Is this your plant with the slightly reddish hairs at the base of the staminode?

Best regards, Jens

By the way, what is the exact meaning of albine?
Album but not quite completely?? It's a bit confusing.
These lovely flowers look like album at a first glance, but upon closer look, the hairs near the center of the flowers are dark.
So....what exactly is albine? I've never heard of such a term.

Thank you, Jens!
What a gorgeous display, Chris! A gloriously well grown, specimen plant - kudos in spades!

Is this your plant with the slightly reddish hairs at the base of the staminode?

Best regards, Jens

Thank you, Jens!
Yes, this is that one.

By the way, what is the exact meaning of albine?
Album but not quite completely?? It's a bit confusing.
These lovely flowers look like album at a first glance, but upon closer look, the hairs near the center of the flowers are dark.
So....what exactly is albine? I've never heard of such a term.

Yes, this Paph isn't a pure forma album as it doesn't lack anthocyanins in all parts of the plant. The hairs at the center of the flower are red as well as some markings at the base of the leaves. IMO a very delicate, seldom and desirable colour form, but not one for the album-purist.

Latest posts

Back