Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two of my rothschildianum x thaianum from Sam are starting to open up. These are first blooms for both plants so I was expecting some funky flowers, but strangely enough one of them seems to have misshapen pollinia that also lack the “cap” I’ve seen on others. Can anyone here weigh in on this?
C3FC0780-0893-447B-B827-A8629B55556F.jpeg

Pollinia aside, this one has a nicer shape than its sibling and some neat green veining on the staminode from the thaianum parent, which its sibling lacks.
58F88C4C-D502-41DF-A1A5-C3824D70B903.jpeg

The other one came out much darker, but interestingly enough the stripes on its dorsal sepal did not come in nearly as defined as the lighter colored sibling.

AF89CE23-C4C6-4354-BF03-BCF2EEEE3EAB.jpeg
Will update again once they’ve fully opened! Not sure how much longer the petals will elongate or how much the dorsal sepal will open and flatten.

Here’s a closeup of the weird pollinia. It was large and chunky. Not sure if it’s viable, but I pollinated another flower with it. If it fails hopefully the second flower produces better formed pollen and I can try again 🙂F53DD45B-1D38-4751-A652-B0103F6B8DE9.jpeg690F96BE-6034-4765-8F83-DE589A29C59B.jpeg

This is actually a nice looking cross. The thaianum seems to soften the lines of the roth and allow the colors to come through. That dark pouch stands out.

Many pollinia of paphs are odd looking esp the intersectional hybrids. Most also are infertile to the next generation. Good luck on cross.

This is actually a nice looking cross. The thaianum seems to soften the lines of the roth and allow the colors to come through. That dark pouch stands out.

Many pollinia of paphs are odd looking esp the intersectional hybrids. Most also are infertile to the next generation. Good luck on cross.

I noticed the darker sibling had normal looking pollinia, so if the pollen from the first and second flower of the lighter sibling don’t work out I have a backup. We’ll see in about a week if the second flower forms a normal looking pollinia!592352BE-8C98-4D9D-A194-807A3A2CD872.jpeg

I also have a couple of Rookies from Sam - how big are your blooming plants?

They’re quite small, single growth plants. 6-8 inch leaf span I think. Larger and less compact looking than some of the other Chou-Yi Rookie I’ve seen online. I have a three growth, unbloomed plant that I’m watching intently. How are yours doing?

They’re quite small, single growth plants. 6-8 inch leaf span I think. Larger and less compact looking than some of the other Chou-Yi Rookie I’ve seen online. I have a three growth, unbloomed plant that I’m watching intently. How are yours doing?
My biggest plants are 2 growth with 8" or more leafspan, but no sign of blooming. I split them up between 'brachy-dark' and 'Paph-bright' to see which blooms first.

Latest posts

Back