Paph. (China Song x Macabre Chant)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the compliments, and yes Kevin, I give talks. If any one wants to invite me to their local orchid society meeting just email me or send me an IM

Robert

Hey Robert,
I like the idea. I really like the look of bullenianum, appletonianum, its var hainaniense, and the hookerae-volonteanum duo. I would be cautious about putting too much of a dose of Macabre or other Maud types into the breeding. The danger being they will look too much like poorly shaped Maudiae types. Keep the breeding line distinct, go back to hainaniense or something. The urbanianum idea was pretty good too.

Hey Robert,
I like the idea. I really like the look of bullenianum, appletonianum, its var hainaniense, and the hookerae-volonteanum duo. I would be cautious about putting too much of a dose of Macabre or other Maud types into the breeding. The danger being they will look too much like poorly shaped Maudiae types. Keep the breeding line distinct, go back to hainaniense or something. The urbanianum idea was pretty good too.

Thanks, I just made a few crosses with Macabre and Maudiae types and I will use the offspring of those crosses as stepping stones, and backcross them into the more "China Song" types (having more bullenianum, appletoneaum, hainanense etc. genes). The reason I made those crosses is because I wanted to widen the petals and flatten out the dorsals, and I like how some of the "spot" patterns look on the petals.

Robert

I had a specimen Paph hainaniense, and with 8+ growths and 5 flowers blooming in a 5 inch pot. From a distance (or when I took off my glasses), it really looked like a cloud of butterflies over that gark blue green mottled foliage. Really a lovely effect, your breeding sounds like generally this is where you are going. Keep them compact. I would be interested in seedlings of a remake of China Song. I picked up a division of an awarded Nisaquallly, sight unseen, last year from Windy Hill, but I have not bloomed it yet. Your photo is getting me interested in it again.

Paph lowii can have the same 'butterfly' effect, perhaps a hybrid with a dwarfish lowii type - like lynnea, might be something to breed into this line.

I like theme you have going here
Leo

Back