Paph. (China Song x Macabre Chant)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This new hybrid just opened up; it is a cross between Paph. China Song and Macabre Chant:

PaphChinaSongxMacabreChant-close-10.jpg

PaphChinaSongxMacabreChant10152008.jpg

I have started to create a new line of hybrids, that I am calling the "China Song" type hybrids. Paph. China Song was originally created by Knob Mochizuki from Japan. Paph China Song is Paph. Love Song x bullenianum, and is 25% acmodontum, 25% sukhakulii and 50% bullenianum. I liked it because it looked different, and had more of a "species" look to it. To me all the "Maudiae" type hybrids are all starting to look alike. What I like about this type of breeding is that the plants are compact, and over time they will produce lots of growths with lots of flowers (as an example see the Paph. Nisqually). My goal is to have some that will have spotted petals, and some that will be all pink to purple in color. I do like the look of the wide petals especially towards the tip, and I want to widen the dorsal a little bit, and make it more flat.

This is a picture of of what got it all started: Paph. China Song (Love Song x bullenianum).

PaphChinaSong.jpg

Paph. Nisqually 'Asuko' AM/AOS (sukhakulii x appletoniaum) showing the floriferous nature of these types of hybrids.

PaphNisquallyAsuko462006-1.jpg

An example of one with all pink to purple petals: Paph. China Dragon (China Song x Nisqually):

PaphChinaDragonPinkDragon432007.jpg

Two example's with more spotted petals: Paph. (China Song x Raisin Pie):

PaphChinaSongxRaisinPie-close-21420.jpg

and Paph. Cobra Song (Macabre Pie x China Song):

PaphCobraSongEyelash-close-9202006.jpg

Robert

Oh, I love all of them! Particularly the China Song x Macabre Chant and the China Dragon! :rollhappy:

Does the China Song x Macabre Chant have name yet? It's beautiful!!!

As Nikv, Paph. China Song x Macabre Chant and China Dragon are really beauties !!!

Are they available yet? I like the form. You are right in that they have a more species look. More natural. The combinations of color and spotting are just right. China Dragon is my favorite. The first two are great as well.

Are they available yet? I like the form. You are right in that they have a more species look. More natural. The combinations of color and spotting are just right. China Dragon is my favorite. The first two are great as well.

Yes, some of them are available; I probably will put the China Song x Macabre Chant up for sale this week. The China Dragon clone is my favorite one too. This cross was pretty variable, and that particular clone (which I decided to keep for further breeding) was probably the most pink, most of the others within that cross had more spotting in the petals.

edit: I put it up on the web now.

Robert

Excellent all of them!I like more the Love Song x bullenianum and the China Song x Raisin Pie thogh!!!:D

Not my type of paph but I never realized the different colors in the lateral petals; a pot of those Nisqually would look good next to my couch!!! :D

Wow! Absolutely fabulous! :clap: :drool: I like the bright colours. Robert, do you ever give lectures? I would love to hear a talk on your breeding programs, and see a slideshow of your many crosses that you have made. Fantastic photos!

These are just my type of paphs ... really beautiful! I really like the appletonianum-bullenianum-hookerae group of species ... in fact by far my favourites within the barbata.
I guess they have been under-used because of their smaller dorsals ... however it is the complimentarity between the horizontal and vertical axes of paph flowers that attracted me to these orchids in the first place.
Thanks for posting.
tim

Pretty cool Robert. Another species you may want to throw in the mix would be urbanianum. It could add to the pink petals although the petal tips may not be completely flat. I have Johnny Shaw (suk X urbani) that looks like suk but with intense uniform spotting and grows like a weed! (very little pink in it as a primary)

Back