Paph canhii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck! Unfourtunatly i always struggeled with her plants, no matter which species.

Good luck, it seem very difficult to cultivate in our lowland areas.

The problem is that many wild
Still not legally in rhe USA.
In theory they are legal because they 'discovered' canhii in China. Just have to wait that they discover intaniae and bungebelangii in China now.

This said, the problem is that most of the market are wild collected plants, and they have inherent diseases and basal mites, that can rot and kill them pretty easily. Aside from Australia and myself, I don't think there has been that many artificially propagated canhii. They are just too cheap for the traders to consider propagating them.

The problem is that many wild

In theory they are legal because they 'discovered' canhii in China. Just have to wait that they discover intaniae and bungebelangii in China now.

This said, the problem is that most of the market are wild collected plants, and they have inherent diseases and basal mites, that can rot and kill them pretty easily. Aside from Australia and myself, I don't think there has been that many artificially propagated canhii. They are just too cheap for the traders to consider propagating them.
There is no native canhii in China, just v. Yunnan. There is artificially propagated but since its not legal no one knows anything. I applaud your abilities.

Yes, it is a historic plant 'trading' location.
Eric, Yunnan isn't only a plant trading location but also the home of many orchid species of different generas and furthermore it borders to the North of Vietnam and the North of Laos, both areas where P. canhii is native. There was a new variety described in 'Die Orchidee' 64(4), 2013 Paph. canhii var. funingense which is located explicitly in Yunnan China.

Last edited:
There are no
Eric, Yunnan isn't only a plant trading location but also the home of many orchid species of different generas and furthermore it borders to the North of Vietnam and the North of Laos, bothe areas where p. canhii is native. There was a new variety described in 'Die Orchidee' 64(4), 2013 Paph. canhii var. funingense which is located explicit in Yunnan China.
Luckily for us, but it comes from Vietnam in truth, I have to know as I was there back then, and the Chinese traders, including a famous one, came to pick up big batches in Dien Bien... But for CITES sake, let's say they are propagating a mysterious canhii from China legally, and already exported/legalized the species worldwide.

This said, it is true that quite a few items like Dendrobium hekouense are Vietnamese 200%.... not to mention Paphiopedilum malipoense, tranlienianum and helenae. They were historically traded at the border of Ma Li Po and Xi Chou in China, coming from Ha Giang. Helenae were exported to China from Lang Son as well.

Back