Paph. callosum var. potentianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggshells

Humongous Gnat
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum callosum var. potentianum or potentianum? The plant is small. A mature growth averages 13-16 cm in leaf span (perfect for people who does not have a lot of space). Petals are smooth and free of warts. It's a real cute species. The spike is about 12 cm tall. The flower is about 7cm in natural span and about 5cm tall.

I put a lot of information as I was looking and there not a lot on info on this one.

Paph. callosum var. potentianum by paphioman, on Flickr

A close up of the stami. Out of focus but there are tiny hairs on the rim of the pouch

And plant size.

Could there be some hybridization deep in the background? Looks like a sublaeve without spots and less red.

I think it is beautiful, the colouration is unique and very different. I have not had the good fortune to see one of these 'in the flesh', but your photos make me feel the plant is on the table in front of me, thank you.

I've been trying to collect smaller plants. I'll have to try and find one of these for myself. Thanks for posting this great plant

Such strange coloration... And I wouldn't have guessed that the plant is so tiny! Well done.

Supposed to be a variety of callosum found in Thailand. I think Mr. Olaf Gruss described it. He asked for some high resolution photos so I will ask him if he can tell us more about this one when I send the photos.

In the meantime this is the only article about it that I found

http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/people/tanaka/orchid/org/newpaph10.html

Cribb, Averyanov, and Koopowitz have never considered this plant as more than a variety of callosum.

Yes described by Gruss & Roth (1995). And origin in Thailand, but according to Koopowitz the description was based on a single plant in cultivation and not observation of a wild population.

Cribb, Averyanov, and Koopowitz have never considered this plant as more than a variety of callosum.

Yes described by Gruss & Roth (1995). And origin in Thailand, but according to Koopowitz the description was based on a single plant in cultivation and not observation of a wild population.

My friend in Thailand told me that there is a whole population of these species in one area. I spoke with Mr. Tanaka and he thinks that this is a separate species as well. I will speak with Mr. Olaf and pick his brain about it. Im just waiting for the other plants to open up to send him some photos. I will try to cross all six clones and see what the outcome will be.

There was a single plant turning up in an Import from Thailand in a German nursery in the 80ies, I think. This plant was bloomed by Erika Potent, who was a talented Paph. grower, a well respected orchid judge and is a wonderful person. Olaf named this variety after her. The sparse data and the single occurence permitted it from being treated as a separate species.
If there is a natural habitat of this taxon, and if this habitat and the colony of plant could be studied by scientists, the possibility would rise that this could be treated as a separate species.

Latest posts

Back