Paph callosum - the vini that isn't

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a plant of Paph. callosum var. viniferum 'Burma' x 'Jac' expecting that I would bloom out a vinicolored callosum. Instead I got one with coloration best described as odd. Does anyone know if this is a normal result for this cross?

I bought this plant last summer from Piping Rock.

--Stephen

Not sure about the expected outcome but isn't 'JAC' a flame callosum? Meaning, not a full vini flower. Your dorsal does look "flamed"

Not sure about the expected outcome but isn't 'JAC' a flame callosum? Meaning, not a full vini flower. Your dorsal does look "flamed"

'Jac' is THE vinicolor callosum. Reportedly the first one.

Side note, unfortunately no. I wouldn't know.

Has anyone ever seen a picture of 'JAC'? Maybe someone here has a PIC, anyone?

Edit: I found one on Tanaka's site.

To me it looks like some of the Vietnamese callosums. Color is good, though not vini...shape is a problem though.

callosum 'JAC' group and the callosum 'Sparkling Burgundy' or 'Ebony - something' group are not the same in terms of how their colors are distributed; the genetics of vinicolor are multi-allelic and vini x vini does not always make vini. If you self your plant, some of the offspring will pick up the right mix of recessive traits and be vini callosums with vinicolor from both sides, the so-called double-factor vini with dark foliage as well. It's the same with albinism in Cattleya - two factors at work. It's the same with albinism in paphs, with more than two factors at work; for example Vanda Pearman made with delenatii alba x bellatulum alba will be all normal colored. As another example, Paph. Berenice made with lowii alba and philippinense alba (of which there are more than type as well) makes a sort of pastel colored flower, rather than pure alba or pure normal colored, which indicates further complications with the genetics of color in paphs - incomplete or partial dominance or some such thing over multiple genes.

To add a footnote here, callosum 'Jac' is a dark vinicolored flower but produces "flame" type progeny and heavily spotted petals. Callosum 'Sparkling Burgundy' was the mother of the rich vinicolored flowers we see today and has a different look than 'Jac' although it is very dark. A combination of the two would give various genes to the progeny, and a range of vinis, flames and coloratum forms.

Time is right

There are 2 different lines of vinicolors. The 'JAC' types are recessive when breeding, vinicolor in the homozygous, peacock flames in the heterzygous form. It may be a multiple gene trait, as the numbers from flasks don't quite line up with the theoretical 25:50:25. At least in my experience. The callosum 'JAC' petals have heavy spotting and a shape that might actually justify calling them a different species to the eye of some taxonomists. Don't know if this idea was ever accepted by Kew, but when you see a pure 'JAC' type that has no normal callosum in its background it looks pretty different.

The "Sparkling Burgundy" type callosums are much more callosum like in plant and flower shape. No doubt about whether or not they are callosum, they are true callosum. Usually few spots in the petals. Here the vinicolor trait is autosomal dominant. The homozygous and hetrozygous forms look about the same, full vinicolors. It may be a multigene trait too, as sometimes a touch of white on the dorsal, especially in the heterozygous forms.

When blended with JAC type, a whole range of colors is possible. Most complex vinicolor crosses today have genes from both lines.

Norito Hasegawa is the only person I know that has maintained pure lines of both types of callosum. Others may have too, but he is the only one I know of that has seedlings of the 'Jac' type that have not been outcrossed to normals.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for all the comments! I incorrectly assumed 'Burma' was another of the viniferum type, so that's why I was confused by this flower. It has interesting colors, but atrocious form. I'll give it another flowering or two, but it may be out of the collection if it doesn't improve.

--Stephen

Latest posts

Back