Paph. callosum 'Jack' - mislabelled?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elena

Finally opened yesterday, my first fully 'earned' slipper bloom. The label says Paph. callosum 'Jack' but I don't think it looks like one?

PaphcallosumJack.jpg

I think the vini color callosum (or P. viniferum, if you prefer) is P. callosum 'JAC'.

Regardless, that ain't callosum. Definitely has a lot of charlesworthii in it.

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't detract from the thrill of your first bloom... Now get a few dozen more! *grin*

Thanks, guys, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It's no biggie because I always had my suspicions about this one and it was only about bucks. I'm still chuffed I got a slipper to spike and bloom.

Oh and Rob, worry not I already have at least a couple dozen more! :D It's just a matter of getting the suckers to (re)bloom now. I only started growing them in March and judging by the number of new growth I'm hoping for more flowers and excitement in the next year or two.

I'd take charlesworthii anything! We all at some point get a mislabeled plant & the NOID's are kinda fun - they keep you in suspense!
Good growing!

Seems like someone posted a photo of a very similar flower here awhile ago, but I don't remember the name. It's quite pretty, whatever the genetics.

Its definitely charlesworthii x just about any Maudiae type, either hybrid or species...no sense in tearing your hair out over the cross, just enjoy it....Of course, if you paid big bucks (or pounds, as you're in the UK) for a callosum Jac, then you have every reason to be very mad......Take care, Eric

Thanks again, everyone!

Paph. Rosita could be a possibility, even the leaves look similar to the pictures I saw but, yes, I'll never know for sure which is fine. The flower's gotten even bigger in the last couple of days, it's pretty much the size of my palm so at least I got a fair bit of bloom for my 8 pounds ;)

Back