Paph callosum ( crossii ? )

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P.K.Hansen

Reaction score
Nice large flower on this one. Some imperfections in the dorsal, but overall I really like it :)
We can always argue about the name 😄

50037476346_f5ea6a5f17_c.jpg

Last edited:
Per, nice callosum. But you seem to have totally forgotten my in-toto-photo?! ;)

I think nobody except Guido Braem would argue about the name...and however pellucidly clear I usually find him, in this case it's difficult not to find his insisting upon the P. crossii epithet rather than P. callosum somewhat idiosyncratic. In this debate Phillip Cribb's refutation of Braem's position appears to me so much more logically consistent.
Apart from that, taxonomy, like so many other scientific endeavours, seems to a certain extent to rely on a measure of consensus. Let's therefore - like the rest of the world - stick to P. callosum!

Jens, he actually asked for pics of this plant today, and he called it callosum 🤔
Anyway, it's callosum to me.
Here's your toto. Sorry about the background ;)
50037990706_5e525a4506_c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm no taxonomist but I can't find any hints not to call this P. callosum. The flower is lovely....who cares about the these tiny imperfections....and in my eyes alone the foliage is worth to grow it. Well done. 👍

... he actually asked for pics of this plant today, and he called it callosum 🤔
This clearly demonstrates, that even our highly esteemed and revered Dr. Braem can come to his senses! 😁

Sorry about the background
I'm just waiting for (NYC)Eric to comment on and make snide remarks about your wall!

Nice one.

Let’s just lump all these callosum lookalikes and interlopers under one name... callosum 🤫!

Because one day, it’s this name, next day another. But there is one universal name only that allows all of us to understand.

Nice large flower on this one. Some imperfections in the dorsal, but overall I really like it :)

50037476346_f5ea6a5f17_c.jpg
I have read the research paper by Braem & Senghas and, as far as I can tell, they made a very weak argument for calling this species "crossii". The most important consideration is whether or not the botanist, Morren, provided a useful and accurate drawing of the plant and flower: he did not. He also did not provide a detailed botanical description. He also stated that the provenance of the plant was "Peru". Given all of these inaccuracies, there is no reason to call this orchid "Paphiopedilum crossii".
In any case, you have a good flower aside from the dorsal sepal. Perhaps on the next flowering that irregularity will be absent: wait and see.

Latest posts

Back