Paph. California Thunder #1 x Winston Churchill 'Indomitable' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
Not sure if this cross is registered. I got this plant as a first-bloom seedling with a massive flower at our local show a number of years ago from Glen Decker of Piping Rock. The plant has been quite vigorous when conditions are good, but it always seems to be the plant that acts as the canary in the coal mine - mealies and thrips always show up first on it, and it does not like to be sprayed with insecticides. Every time I have sprayed it, a new growth has succumbed to rot overnight. It's finally blooming again with a beautiful deep red color that changes depending on the light and background. I hope this is not a last hurrah blooming, as there is currently no new lead, and I would hate to lose the plant for sentimental reasons.
aIMG_3509.JPG
aIMG_3569.JPGaIMG_3543.JPG

Thanks for the idea! I’ve never registered a cross before, that would be cool. Hopefully, the plant won’t kick the bucket!

I would repot after soaks in potions and I’m having good luck with my sensitive plants using Castile soap and vegetable oil in RO homemade mixture sprayed every 10 days. I’m surprised that it never seems to stain or build up on the leaves. I’ll still have to poison the mites once this spring, I think, but mealies are long gone, scale seems way way down and mites are just here and there now instead of an infestation. Lest you think I’m careless, I almost never had these bugs until a year ago when I accidentally poisoned everybody with my poor filter maintenance. Been digging out ever since.