Paph bullenianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Berrak

First blooming.

Growing well. Has 2 new growths.

Paph-bullenianum.jpg

BULLFLOWER.jpg

It's a little guy, I guess I haven't seen full plant shots of this species. Good size flower, nice photos!

Thank you.

Yes its a small guy.

The plant is about 6 cm high.
The flower is 6,5 cm high and 8 cm wide.

Looks like a good mix w/ lowii. Thanx for posting.

I am going to show my ignorance here and ask if bullenianum is the species name and Berrak if you could divulge the particulars of this mix I would appreciate them. I am always looking for small orchids I can grow.

I bought it with the name amabile but bullenianum is the correct name according to Cribb.
Yes it is a species.

Ed - No idea.

It is a species - It is also described in the new book Tropical Slipper Orchids.
There are some variants.

As much as it looks like appletonium (or wolterianum), bullenianunum comes from Borneo and has a beefier flower.

Cribb says that this complex is a mess with very similar plants:
P. ambile
P. robinsonii
P. linii
P. johorense
P. celebesense
P. tortipetalum
all species status names circulating freely in cultivation for what is probably the same plant.

With a comparison of the incredible amount of variation Averyanov has documented for appletonium in Vietnam, I wouldn't be surprised that bullenianum would have a ton of variation throughout the south pacific.

Back