Paph bud watch

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Really excited about this one. At the risk of jinx bud blast, this is progressing nicely when I first notice the bud.

2-9-2017
c558e281d5a3ae0b7d2150b9235e92a0.jpg

70442cd7675e9952b0cc3017ab40aa45.jpg

82107a9a602256ffaae9c2c2307c5b21.jpg

Today 2-17-2017
2d10d88c8d155ae12c3e4fed9d47d451.jpg

10517c6acf55a4bf739999560cd60e09.jpg

8eca42c5e52e93b7df216cf3974cec84.jpg

f72157acecd99013f1cf5974775558cf.jpg

d18fba369cf453c383e8df3a07da19ee.jpg

exceptionally healthy anitum. I long for its opening. Keep us updated :) I vote for violascens for the last.

Anitum is beautiful! leaves and dark buds and all.

I guess this is an exceptional clone, or do they speed up once they past certain "age" as I read they are very slow?

Though I've heard someone flowered it in 5 years out of flask, that is definitely a speedy individual I believe.

exceptionally healthy anitum. I long for its opening. Keep us updated :) I vote for violascens for the last.

Gosh. You guys know your species. First one is anitum and last one is violascens. It's not as established since I just got it 3+ months ago - but I am going to let it bloom because I haven't bloomed one before.

I also have couple Paph roth in buds, as well as armeniacum and micranthum in buds. New for me would be armeniacum. Well, not really I did bloom this species before but it was not good. Now I have stronger plants so we will see. Can't wait.

Gosh. You guys know your species. First one is anitum and last one is violascens. It's not as established since I just got it 3+ months ago - but I am going to let it bloom because I haven't bloomed one before.

I also have couple Paph roth in buds, as well as armeniacum and micranthum in buds. New for me would be armeniacum. Well, not really I did bloom this species before but it was not good. Now I have stronger plants so we will see. Can't wait.

Your violascens looks great to me. I haven't bloomed one before as well. No luck for me.

Getting a blooming armeniacum and micranthum is even more courageous. We can't get those established locally. Way too hot for them!:poke:

That is a good one!!! If the petals hold flat, it will be my favorite of all vietnemense I have seen

Nice!

Thanks for posting those photos. I've had a lot of rain lately, and thought one of mine was in trouble because it had a dark leaf coming up in the center. I was worried it was rot even though the rest of the plant looks healthy, but it must be the beginning of a bloom. I don't have the luxury of growing inside due to space limitations. I have them under shade cloth, but the rain is beyond my control. I'm new to paphs, and have never bloomed one yet so I didn't quite know what to expect. Upon closer examination, it appears to be a very dark purple at the moment.

Tempt the jinx? What is that?

Nice!

Thanks for posting those photos.

You are welcome. It's fun to discover new buds when watering. Here is my first paph rothschildianum to bloom this year. I've been busy and this seems to just appear out of nowhere.

9db8324c703dcad40054f906dcdb51c8.jpg

Here is a photo of a larger plant I got at Redland in 2014. It is getting larger and now two inflorescences of 4 buds each.

e52668f837a7be4cddce7e7fac8749d5.jpg

One day I would like to get a Paph rothschildianum that will produce 5-6 flowers.

And here is update on Paph anitum. Stem is getting longer. Looks like 2 flowers. And another Paph anitum is in bud too.

38a12031e699f1e2a2517ec4d3750030.jpg

You are welcome. It's fun to discover new buds when watering.

One day I would like to get a Paph rothschildianum that will produce 5-6 flowers.
At the moment I'd just be happy with a roth with just 1 bloom. Later on, I'll raise my expectations.

Nice photos, but I'm curious. How long do the stems get before the first bud opens? I am wondering if I need to give more vertical height to some of the ones I have once they begin to put up blooms.

The vertical height, if I understand you, is for more sunlight so the plants will bloom. Many times the more sun to a plant that doesn't need it gives you a shorter stem. Uaually not the case with roths.

Latest posts

Back