Paph. Borburn 'Banbury' AM/AOS, AM/RHS, B/CSA, HCC/ODC

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
Borburn is a plant not so much for its progeny but for its parents. At the time the grex was made (registered in 1937 by Armstrong and Brown), I bet there was great hope that this would be an amazing revolution in paphs. It's a cross of two of the very best breeders of the day: Bordube 'Eau de Nil' and Chardmoore 'Mrs. Cowburn'. Chardmoore needs no introduction for those people with any knowledge of complex paphs - it's one of the parents of Dusty Miller, which made Miller's Daughter, the best white grex in the world prior to the early 1990s. It's also left its mark on spotteds, reds, and tans; I'll eventually get to it in the pictures and write a bunch more on it.

Bordube 'Eau de Nil' is a much more interesting thing, because it's not available at all. It is probably the original source of solid yellow color in paphs, through Dervish (x Grace Darling), and so on through Denehurst, Mariano Martian, and Todd Clark or Magic Mountain. Denehurst is a great breeder...Unfortunately I have never seen Bordube 'Eau de Nil' - not a photo, painting, and never a plant. It's on the short list for sure. Do any of you have it? The other fairly well-known offspring of Bordube is McLaren Park.

Borburn was awarded by the RHS in 1946 (interestingly enough its parent is listed as Chardmoore 'Mrs. Coburn') to an L.W. Brummitt, then made its way across the sea with Mr. Bracey to be awarded an AM/AOS in 1951. In 1956 it recieved a B/CSA for Dr. Lenz in Southern CA. Then in 1961 it received an HCC/AOS and HCC/ODC for Arthur Freed Orchids.

I guess the flower itself is again not all that special, but it has such an interesting story. I really like Bordube crosses - they make me feel like I'm getting closer to the real thing!!

Attachments

• borburn_banbury_rhs.jpg
    borburn_banbury_rhs.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 39
  • borburn_banbury.jpg
    borburn_banbury.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 54
In the making of these early complex hybrids, it's interesting to see how the same species and primary hybrids are crossed and back crossed onto one another to achieve the final result. The dorsal seems to show a lot of spicerianum influence with its pure white color.

Thanks for the history lesson, Tim!:)

Nice of you all...I'm not really into writing for critics.

Thanks for showing another classic to us, Tim!

That's quite an appealing flower even today. So, with that genetic make-up, why did it or its sibs not leave their mark in breeding history?

Fertility /ploidy issues? I can't imagine it hasn't been tried.

Cool bloom! Thank you for the background info! I always learn alot from your threads!!

Latest posts

Back