Paph. Booth's Sand Lady x (Lady Isabel x sanderianum 'Pull Bridge')

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calvin_Tiong

Reaction score
This is another big plant of Dr. Chiew.
One of the parent is Paph. sanderianum 'Pull Bridge' BM/01OF. What does 01OF mean? Appreciate if some one can tell me the answer.
According to DC, he bought this plant from a Japanese seller (Hirota International Flower Inc.) during his visit to WOC in year ______.Photo 31-10-2022.jpgPhoto 31-10-2023.jpgIMG_0494-001.JPGIMG_0495-002.JPGIMG_0499-002.JPG

Usually I see something like "BM/JOGA" meaning Bronze Medal from the Japanese Orchid Growers Association. Couldn't really tell you what the 010F means, but it would not surprise me if it was the result of poorly transcribed labels (i.e. 010F was originally JOGA but the ink degraded and someone guessed at what remained). I've seen enough "guesses" on labels over the years to know that it's like a game of telephone, it starts out as one thing and eventually ends up becoming something comically different. Just a theory, though. Obviously could be completely off base.

I recently purchased a BSL from Sam and I'm expecting something good by next spring. Either a spike or a new lead breaking out.

Nice flowers BTW

Yet another gloriously grown plant from Dr. Chiew - and again a sanderianum hybrid with lovely rounded petals (i.e. without the "shoulders", the angular bend, that I tend to detest in sanderianum and sanderianum crosses - and, yes, I know, this might say more about a personal idiosyncracy of mine than about the quality of the flowers!)!

Lady Isobel x sanderianum is Booth's Sand Lady, so either the first "x" should be "=", or it's a sibling cross.
My guess would be, that the grower wanted it acknowleged that one of the four "grand parents" of the plant was an awarded clone.I agree with Ray, that this is done clumsily on the nametag. As I am not the most hybrightest person, maybe we could have someone with a little more expertise confirm or falsify, whether the following would be a more appropriate designation: P. Booth's Sand Lady x P. Booth's Sand Lady (P. Lady Isabel x P. sanderianum 'Pull Bridge' BM/01OF)?

What the '01OF'-bit stands for, might be anybody's guess. Though, I have some difficulty in accepting the interpretation that it derives form IOGA. Such a misrepresentation seems to me to require a game of at least interplanetary telephoning to occur!
Another guess might be, that the 01 refers to the year (i.e. 2001) when the Bronze Medal was awarded. OF might stand for a local branch of either The Orchid Society of Japan or The Paphiopedilum Society of Japan f.ex.The Orchidsociety of Fujisawa (OF) , cf. the side of the tag with information on the grower/nursery from whence the plant was acquired?
But, as previously started, anyone's guess might be as good - and most likely better - than mine!

Kind regards, Jens

Usually I see something like "BM/JOGA" meaning Bronze Medal from the Japanese Orchid Growers Association. Couldn't really tell you what the 010F means, but it would not surprise me if it was the result of poorly transcribed labels (i.e. 010F was originally JOGA but the ink degraded and someone guessed at what remained). I've seen enough "guesses" on labels over the years to know that it's like a game of telephone, it starts out as one thing and eventually ends up becoming something comically different. Just a theory, though. Obviously could be completely off base.

Thnk you so much. I agree with what you said. It could be JOGA. I'll double check with the owner again. I hope he still keep the old tag.

I have some difficulty in accepting the interpretation that it derives form IOGA. Such a misrepresentation seems to me to require a game of at least interplanetary telephoning to occur!

What made me chuckle about this is the fact that you've already begun the game of telephone (i.e. IOGA instead of JOGA). While I'm far from certain about the meaning of those characters on the tag, I also don't think it would take interplanetary telephone to get from JOGA to something like o|0F.

What made me chuckle about this is the fact that you've already begun the game of telephone (i.e. IOGA instead of JOGA). While I'm far from certain about the meaning of those characters on the tag, I also don't think it would take interplanetary telephone to get from JOGA to something like o|0F.
😁😁😁😁
Telephone is a wonderful game!

Though, in this instance, I rather think, that I was temporarily struck by formal thought disorders, as my "IOGA" could best be characterized as a neologism ("a new word or phrase of the patient's own making"), based on the rather private combination of JOGA and IOGT. My apologies to as well the organized Japanese orchid lovers as to members of the International Organisation of Good Templars!
A mitigating circumstance, however, might be, that my blunder could have been spawned by a subconscious desire to receive treatment and support for my orchioholism!

Latest posts

Back