Paph. Benedikt - Saint Swithin X vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ORG

Here a new hybrid of the genus Paphiopedilum which I have seen today in the nursery of a friend.
Paphiopedilum Saint Swithin X vietnamense

Paph-18.jpg

Paph-17.jpg

Paph-16.jpg

The new hybrid was registred as Paphiopedilum Benedikt

Best greetings

Olaf

oh, wow!
I really like that one.
Thanks for the pics Olaf

Love the colors. It looks a little floppy, though. Looks like vietnamense does what delenatii does sometimes with regard to this.

I like it better than a delanatii cross...despite the dentally challenged pouch.....Take care, Eric

Sorry to disagree, even though the photos are a little dark, thats the second ugliest paph I've seen this year if not previous. I'm glad I never have or will buy crosses like that.
Fren was right, it looks more like Phrag with apo;ogies to the Phrags.

Roy

But, Roy, you should really tell us what you think!:) I have to admit at first glance I thought it was pretty fugly. Then it sort of grew on me. I don't think I'd kick it out of my greenhouse though. At least not right away.

Dear Roy,
it is really well that the orchidists have so different favorites.
Normally I prefer species and also primary hybrids of vietnamense or others. But this hybrid was for me also attractive. So it grows very easy and flowered very easy. It is really an interesting hybrid for persons who love it.

Best greetings

Olaf

P.S. I could show you so many ugly hybrids, made in the past. But it was also necessary to make these crosses for learning more about the genetics and the hybridizing-potential.

Hi Olaf, hi Roy,

in this case I'm complete together with Roy. In my eyes this cross shows no signs of improvement or advance compared to the 'pretty' parents.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder - that's what Olaf said.

Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Olaf, I understand your comments well and breeding is necessary but when these experiment hybrids are released the growers are left, in most instances, with plants that either won't grow, won't flower or both. Then if lucky, they flower their plant & are faced with flowers that defy description. There are a number of noteable successes of course but even then, the ones with half reasonable flowers and growth rates are few and far between. Keep the experimentals 'in-house'. Similar family paph breeding ie multi with sequential, bracky with Parvi etc still has a lot of good work to be done to improve their qualities and even the poorer results still look recognisable.
Good luck, Roy.

Latest posts

Back