Paph bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
I am growing this one in an ornamental orchid pot. It is Yi Xing ware from China.Yi Xing is the potters collective that has been making tea services for the Chinese emporers for over a thousand years. The modern incarnation is a collective that makes orchid pottery, bonsai pots, penjing pots, & tea services, all from a real nice high temperature fired ceramic. Much more durable than terra cotta. Their bonsai pottery is almost as durable as Tokonome ware. I bought these pots through Purple Clay Imports, they advertise on Orchid Mall and in AOS mag. Yi Xing pottery is designed to breath better than glazed porcelin, it has deep cuts in the pattern, so air penetrates the side of the pot. Yi Xing ware also helps keep roots cool in the hot sun. It holds water reasonably well. I find I don't have to change the watering pattern much when I switch a plant to YiXing pots. They are not too expensive $10 or less for the small orchid pots. I like my 'permanent members of the collection' to look nice. If a plant makes it to 'permanent status' a pot that is more attractive than a cheapo plastic pot is in order. This bellatulum has been with me quite a number of years. It likely was a collected plant, so it doesn't have that line bred perfection of form and spotting. I like it anyway.

bellatulum836b.jpg

bellatulum836-Leptotes-bicolor.jpg

hoya-macgillivrayii-perfecta4-08d.jpg

Cute bellatulum--the Leptotes looks very happy too! I'm completely incapable of getting rid of a plant or goldfish for its lack of conventional perfection once I aquire it because I quickly become attached. They do become friends like anything or anyone else.

They're great pots for sure. I only have one with a variegated Cym. goeringii in it, but would surely like more at some point--it makes sense for me to get them at a show. I missed my most recent chance...didn't buy too much of anything though.

Leo, have you seen or bought any of Marni's pots? They're very nice too.

Marni has not worked any of the Midwest shows, so I have never seen one of her pots live and in person. I was thinking of mail ordering from her website, I just haven't gotten to it. Marni and have have a couple mutual friends in common, I know I would enjoy meeting her, she is definitely one of the 'good guys'. So it is just a matter of time and I will try a couple of her pots. I encourage everyone to try her pottery.

Latest posts

Back