Paph bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
This was the first Paph that I purchased years ago. I am surprised that I continued growing Paphs. This species is not the easiest one for a beginner. I can't recall how many times I rotted roots off this one but have saved it every time. It continues to reward me with beautiful flowers.

"Paph. bellatulum is native to Thailand and Burma and grows in areas that are somewhat higher in elevation and cooler than where other paph. species are found. It is reported that some have even encountered a slight frost at certain times during winter." It has a pendant spike. It needs to stay dryer in the cool months. I give it a low of 60 but it can take lower than that. Being that this species is native to limestone outcroppings, I have some calcium chips in the mix.

bellatulum.jpg

Ron can you recall when you got your plant? Your story is the same as mine. I got mine in 2001, and wouldn't be surprised if its been rootless a 1/4 of the time. I also use limestone gravel in the bottom of the pot. I used to grow it much brighter, and then it got overgrown by a philippinense. It grew much better then so I've moved it to a shadier and cooler location.

It's been good for the last couple of years and I have a couple of divisions and a hand full of seedlings from a selfing I did of it a couple years ago. I think Paphreek commented similarly, but the seedlings seem to be easier to grow than the adults.

Latest posts

Back