Paph bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a first bloom seedling from a flask I got a few of years ago. Dimensions: Total width: 6.5cm, height: 7.0cm, Dorsal width: 4.3cm. All measurements are approximate.

PaphbellatulumOI1-1.jpg

This is my largest bellatulum so far. This one grew quite fast. I believe that the plants were deflasked in October of 2004.

I grow them on the dry side by putting them in a chc mix in small pots. This one is in bloom in a 2 1/4 inch pot. Other bellatulums that have become multigrowths for me have tended to decline when I potted them into the larger, deeper pots I use for most of my Paphs. Next time I repot a larger Brachy, I'll use a shallower pot or a more open mix, or both.

Another bellatulum from the same cross

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one and add the second plant to bloom from this flask. Dimensions: Total width: 7cm. Total height: 7.5cm

PaphbellatulumOI2.jpg

The whole plant, growing in a 2 1/4 inch pot.
PaphbellatulumOI2plant.jpg

That's quite a bit of difference in the spotting between the 2 plants.

And only 2 and 1/2 years out of flask. Good growing:clap:

TADD said:
Look at those roots... I didn't know bellatulums had them... Mine never did.... Well done Ross!

I think the key for some of the Brachy's is to never let the mix get too soggy. A big plant in a 2 1/4 inch pot easily sucks up the available moisture. Over potting them makes them go down hill fast, at least for me

Such big flowers in a tiny spot.
The spots are quite clean too.

You have very nice plant! Congrats!!!
Mine is in spike now, fingers' cross it come out as nice as your! :)

Hello paphreek,

the flowers of your bellatulums are excellent and all three plants are well cultivated - congratulations, well done!!
Unfortunately my P. bellatulum didn't flower although it had two sheats this winter but both withered. I think I kept the potting medium slightly too moist during the 'resting' months Nov./Dec. therefore I will keep the plants cooler and drier next winter. I hope this helps.:confused:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Surprisingly, the bellatulums from this flask have been very easy growers compared to others that I have. Perhaps it is a result of several generations being bred "in captivity" or perhaps my culture is slightly different. On this batch of bellatulums I am intentionally using smaller pots than I normally would.

You are right about the moisture, GuRu. These plants dry out more quickly than my other Paphs. Best of luck with your bellatulum, this year.:)

Latest posts

Back