Paph Battle of Egypt 'Alpha' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This flower received its FCC in 1949. This is the first time the dorsal has been fully locked in by the synsepal in all the times it has bloomed.

PaphBattleofEgyptAlpha1110.jpg

lol - I think this plant is great. it has the most unruly of genetic combinations and is of all things still fertile!! It has callosum, barbatum, charlesworthii and villosum on one side, and mostly unknown on the other...FYI for all you connisseurs of old-timey plants, although Redstart 'Exbury' has the FCC, Redstart 'Chilton' is the parent behind everything with Redstart in it - 'Exbury' doesn't breed according to Paul Phillips...

I have a few Darling x Battle of Egypt and I've seen a few in flower - looks like this breeds pretty saturated color, especially considering viniferums were not in existence at the time of its creation. It has an AM/RHS as well from 1944...Cool plant Ross!!

lol - I think this plant is great. it has the most unruly of genetic combinations and is of all things still fertile!! It has callosum, barbatum, charlesworthii and villosum on one side, and mostly unknown on the other...FYI for all you connisseurs of old-timey plants, although Redstart 'Exbury' has the FCC, Redstart 'Chilton' is the parent behind everything with Redstart in it - 'Exbury' doesn't breed according to Paul Phillips...

I have a few Darling x Battle of Egypt and I've seen a few in flower - looks like this breeds pretty saturated color, especially considering viniferums were not in existence at the time of its creation. It has an AM/RHS as well from 1944...Cool plant Ross!!

Thanks for the commentary, Tim. What I find interesting is that while it breeds, very few crosses were made with it. I have not used it for breeding because I didn't like the way the dorsal reflexed on all the previous bloomings. Here is an example of a typical blooming.

PaphBattleofEgyptAlpha-1.jpg

I may rethink that after getting a better result this blooming.

i'd do something weird with it - i don't think it's a good standard these days. cross it with a brachy-derived something like your Jennifer Ann Hella - those tend to have "locking" ventrals and the color combinations sure would be novel. Battle of Egypt is too big to work with miniatures and the flower size is too small to work with standards. Maybe something very weird like x Red Beauty?

I really like BOE. It's one of the best. Good grower, reliable bloomer, usually nice flowers.

Back