Paph (barbigerum x charlesworthii) '#2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more growth in low bud, but I thought I'd take a picture now anyway.
Paphbarbigerumxcharlesworthii2plant.jpg

What a show!

Fine growing indeed! The wierdness of hybridization: whatever happened to the charlesworthii dorsal?
Happy growing
Frederick

Fine growing indeed! The wierdness of hybridization: whatever happened to the charlesworthii dorsal?
Happy growing
Frederick
It is interesting how the charlesworthii mark is only in pouch and petal color and a slight brushing of the dorsal. I done a sib cross to see if I can bring out more of the charlesworthii dorsal. Time will tell.

Pygmy Paphs

These guys are great!
We also are revitalizing our programme from the '80's into minature complex.
Will download some pics when I have time.
Part of my talk in Toronto will be on the poppets!!!
P.barbigerum is a good parent.
Pity P. helenae hybrids are still "illegal":evil:
OOpps!!!!!!
Keep stirring:D
Paul

P. barbigerum x charlesworthii

Been looking at the picture again.
Sometimes a plant will "do" a selfing. P. lowii is notorious, I believe the word is autogenus (not sure on the spelling!!)
It looks very like a barbigerum which is why the charlesworthii does not appear??
Paul

Been looking at the picture again.
Sometimes a plant will "do" a selfing. P. lowii is notorious, I believe the word is autogenus (not sure on the spelling!!)
It looks very like a barbigerum which is why the charlesworthii does not appear??
Paul

Interesting thought. Paul, here are closeups from three of the seedlings from this cross. These plants were acquired from the breeding program of Wharton Sinkler, formerly Castle Rock Orchids.
Paphbarbigerumxcharleworthii1-2.jpg

Paphbarbigerumxcharlesworthii2707.jpg

Paphbarbigerumxcharleworthii3-2.jpg

In the hopes of bringing out more of the charlesworthii, I have done a sib cross: #1 x #3. Hopefully, the F2 generation will show more.

Also, I beleive Matt Gore once had some barbigerum 'Maple Plain' selfings? which is the same cultivar used in this barbigerum x charlesworthii. If Matt had seen any bloom out, perhaps he can tell us if they had any maroon brushing on the dorsal.

There is certainly some influence from P.charlesworthii in these flowers, but P. barbigerum seems to be quite dominant in the cross. Some parents have this influence, P. sukhakulii is very dominant in its crosses also. My guess is a sib cross or backcrossing to P. charlesworthii or onto a P. charlesworthii hybrid will enhance the desired characteristics.

I agree the barbigerum has more influence but seeing there is quite a bit of variance in both species, I would expect there will be alot of variance in the offspring. It will be interesting to see other photos of this cross to see if more charlesworthii comes thru.
What a nice specimen, good growing!

P.barbigerum

When we were in Florida we had about 30 plants of P. barbigerum and certainly there was quite a variation. We even had 3 or 4 different growth habits.
Thr line breeding results could prove the answer.
Pity paphs take so long!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back