• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Paph barbigerum divisions for sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm posting this for a fellow orchid club member who is trying to raise some money for a friend who lost their orchid collection in a recent house fire. She has already sold a few plants including a few barbigerum albums and other things, and will send her friend the money so she can replace the orchids when the new house is built or rebuilt. She may also decide to sell other things if you ask her about it, but for now this is what's available. She gave me a division of this plant in exchange for my taking some orchid flower closeups pics for her (her idea, to my surprise) and though small it is doing well. I'm not very knowledgeable about paphs but I guess this species doesn't get that large anyhow, and has been considered to be an excellent species in which to use for making small plants perfect for under lights growing. This plant is Paphiopedilum barbigerum 'Obie's Top Hat' AM/AOS

below is link to details about house fire
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=henrietta+house+fire

paphbb1.JPG

this is a pic of the plant Iris gave me a few months ago. all of the seedlings were pretty much the same size, this one the longest leaf is 5" long so leafspan roughly 10". it is in a 2" pot as were the others. mine has grown some, Iris says the others have as well. I scaled this first pic so that it should be just about life size.

paphbb2.JPG

I didn't have a particular reason for taking this pic, just thought that if someone wanted to see the hairs along the edges of some of the leaves and how much coloration there was at the base of the plant, this would help (or not)

Iris has three other divisions that were made at the same time as this one was. All are in 2 to 3" pots, all are of the original plant she received/purchased from David Geiger who probably purchased it from Jim Rice formerly of Rice's Orchids, Homer NY. Jim Rice imported many orchid species including paphs before CITES, and many of his paph species went on to receive AOS awards, or become parents of plants that became awarded hybrids. Know of Antec Orchids? A good number of their earlier awarded species/hybrids came at least indirectly from Rice's Orchids. Iris was the owner when it received an AM/AOS; her barbigerum album also received a CHM/AOS. There are two divisions that are $10 (probably single divisions) each and one larger probably two growths that is $15. Iris Cohen can be reached at [email protected] .

I have asked on the OGD if anyone who has access to images of awarded orchids can look for the flower award pic of this plant, can send it to me. I will post the image here if it is made available to me.

Below is a link to a pic of a paph barbigerum on Jay Pfahl's Orchid Species website, which also has a description of barbigerum. While there, consider supporting Jay's efforts to list and display every orchid species known to mankind!
http://www.orchidspecies.com/paphbarbigerum.htm

thanks for looking and thinking about helping someone restart their orchid obsession!

(oh, and my division isn't for sale ;) )

Last edited:
wow, thank you very much! that was like lightning.
in case anyone thinks they may have interest, decide quickly as Iris just informed me that they will be placed on a sales table at the binghamton orchid club show next weekend

I've heard that one division has been sold so far...

*oh, and the awards center photographer who took the above image of paph barbigerum is Charles Marden Fitch, and I am in the process of getting in touch with him about the use of his photograph...

*update - all may be accounted for, will confirm soon. Iris mentioned to me that someone from the forum (or a visitor) has offered to send the family whose home was burned some orchids to replace the ones they lost! You guys are amazingly nice!

Last edited:
Wow -- that was fast. I read your post this morning on OGD, but didn't know divisions were for sale, or about the fire, or ... But thanks for helping out.

Besides, Andy Easton would probably jump on yet another chance to pick on Iris......

Latest posts

Back