Paph. barbatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like my barbatum at all...maybe you should search on the other barbatum photos posted and compare.

Where are you? Many years ago, it was reported that many of the so-called "barbatums" in the US were really callosum v. sublaeve (or its synonym, "thailandense"). Which your's definitely looks like. But I do admit that the floiage is closer to barbatum.....however, mottled leaf paphs have great variability in their patterns. My guess is callosum sublaeve....Take care, Eric

You barbatum certainly looks very callosum-like, at least bloom-wise. I have barbatum but the dorsal is not nearly as large as yours....but then it's been so long since it bloomed, that I am beginning to forget what it looked like!

I was reading last night in Cribb's book that there appeared to be integrades between barbata and callosum sublaeve near the edge of their ranges. This was leading him to believe that they may not be distinct species from each other (rather than hybrids of distinct species).

Despite the darker color of a more typical barbata, they do seem very similar structurally.

Latest posts

Back