Paph. barbatum 'San Leandro' (nigritum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my Paph. barbatum 'San Leandro'. Two spikes and it's been in bloom for over a month. I got this off my society raffle table probably 4-5 years ago. It's being grown in s/h and is a reliable bloomer.

barbatum.gif

Thats a great bloom :) Wonderful petals!

- Matt

BTW, you may find that you'll have a better color range and resolution if you use the jpg format for your photos rather than .gif.

When I create the text, to put my name on the photo in Photoshop and save the two layers as a .jpg file it won't link properly on my site. It keeps saying photo won't show due to errors in the file. The only way I can get the photo loaded and linked correctly is to save it as a gif file. Of course I can save and link a regular, unedited photo as a jpg but the layers screw it up somehow.

We used a drawing of Paph barbatum as our logo at our Paph Symposium way back in 1993.
Beautiful fllower.

Candace said:
When I create the text, to put my name on the photo in Photoshop and save the two layers as a .jpg file it won't link properly on my site. It keeps saying photo won't show due to errors in the file. The only way I can get the photo loaded and linked correctly is to save it as a gif file. Of course I can save and link a regular, unedited photo as a jpg but the layers screw it up somehow.

Did you flatten the layers before you saved it as a jpg?

I thought I did, but when I redid the photos into .jpg format it's working now...

barbatum2.jpg

But, really is it any clearer? What's the benefit of using a jpg. file over a gif file...for dummies, please?

Candace,

To me, there is a clear visual difference between the jpg and gif that you posted... the jpg has much smoother color transitions, and doesn't look "grainy" like the gif. Especially in the pouch... when I looked at your first photo, I was immediately aware that it was a .gif rather than a jpg, which is of course why I mentioned it. For me, that would be the major reason to use jpg instead of gif... gifs can use a about 256 colors, whereas jpgs can use millions.

There's also the size issue. Especially for larger images, jpgs (if optimized) are much smaller than gifs, in my experience. For example, the .gif image that you posted is over 100k. The jpg (which I optimized in photoshop) is of superior visual quality (I think) and is only a quarter of that size :

barbatum2.jpg

Let me know if I need to go into more specific details here.

- Matt

Thanks, Matt for explaining it. I think I've got it worked out as I loaded some .jpg files this morning and I didn't get any errors. I'm still learning photoshop since all the photo theft issues... and still having problems adding text to cropped photos. But, I'm sure I'll learn as I go along.

Very nice flower, but does nigritum mean black? (or something dark)

The label actually said nigritum, but a search on the net showed it's a syn. for barbatum. I've got no idea why it was orginally named nigritum. I don't see any black/dark either:confused:

Back