Paph armeniacum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Below is a photo of one of my Paph. armeniacums that is currently in bloom. The main growth is what I consider hugh at a ten inch leaf span. There is also 3 other starts and growths at diffrent stages of development. The flower stem is seven inches from the leaves to the flower. The natural spread is 10.5 centimeters. Hope you like it.

720Papharmeniacum.jpg

Is it an alba? I don't see any spots or anything.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,
It can't be a real alba although any spots are missing. Have a look at the staminode and you will see maroon markings. An album variety dosn't have these markings.
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

The color is very pretty, just a hint of red pigment. Do you think the pouch is done expanding? It looks like it's got a stubborn look on it's face (scrunched up chin), but maybe it will 'relax' and let the wrinkles out later! :) (I have to be careful letting my dad have any digital files of my photos...he tends to draw eyes on them, staminode is the nose, pouch opening mouth, pouch the chin...I have a hard time not seeing a funny face on blooms sometimes :) )

It looks like it was involved in a fist fight. Nice color, though. Hopefully it will bloom out right next time.

I have to be careful letting my dad have any digital files of my photos...he tends to draw eyes on them, staminode is the nose, pouch opening mouth, pouch the chin...I have a hard time not seeing a funny face on blooms sometimes :) )

I thought I was the only one. I just draw them in my mind though:evil:

Unusual bloom time! Usually the buds are just starting now....develop slowly and bloom March-April...pouch is a little ....how to put it politely....well, forget it...the important thing is that its in bloom! For me, getting a bloom is a major achievement in itself...perfection can come later. Congratulations! Eric

Gilda, yes I am growing them in S/H. This second one that I have in bud I've owned for at least 2 maybe 3 years. It's about time it's getting the hang of flowering. The second one that I hope will flower also has MUCH smaller growths but more of them. I really like armeniacum so have a number of them. It's always hard for me to resist buying another one when I find them and they aren't too crazy in price. The one that is currently in flower came from Parkside about a year ago. I was greedy on that visit and bought one in bud (single growth plant that blasted) and this one that had a couple of starts and was much fuller.

Gilda, yes I am growing them in S/H. This second one that I have in bud I've owned for at least 2 maybe 3 years. It's about time it's getting the hang of flowering. The second one that I hope will flower also has MUCH smaller growths but more of them. I really like armeniacum so have a number of them. It's always hard for me to resist buying another one when I find them and they aren't too crazy in price. The one that is currently in flower came from Parkside about a year ago. I was greedy on that visit and bought one in bud (single growth plant that blasted) and this one that had a couple of starts and was much fuller.

Wow ! I couldn't persuade you to take a full shot photo of them in SH...from the side. I just put mine in Sh and I want to show them how they are suppose to grow.:wink: Do yours get much of a temp drop ?

I know that a couple of you guys have been asking for a full shot of the plant. As you may or may not know my wife does the photography. Lots going on here even excluding the holiday, which we supose to have here. About 7 weeks ago my wifes brother ran over his brother and then got scared and pulled forward running over him a second time. To our surprise he's still alive and in I.C.U.. On top of that her 82 year father just got rushed to a diffrent hospital. All this is happening 100 miles from us so I really don't think it is fair to ask Donna for another photo. Sorry.

As far as temp. drop goes, at the present time I have the greenhouse set at 68 degrees during the day and 62 at night. On many days it does get warmer then that in there. In Sept when I was away we had a bigger swing in temperature. It dropped down to 55 and set off the alarm while we were way. Funny thing is the armeniacums had already set the buds prior to that. For me they seem to bloom when they want to. Still don't have anything close to a large specimen plant.

Latest posts

Back