Paph. armeniacum - finally a successful flowering

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Been growing this plant for over 10 years now. Finally it is flowering well. The last flower just opened - about two weeks later than the other two, and a little on the small side. I wonder how long it will stay in good flower. Maybe just a week or two. All in all, I'm quite pleased.PaphArmenSM.JPG

Great flowering, and it looks like a happy plant, congrats! I’ve only succeeded in killing this species!

Love it .... especially the two older flowers. If the clump of a plant in the background grew within 10 years, your culture seems to be the right one for the plant. 👍

How many times did it bloom in the last ten years?
I love yellow flowers and this species fits the bill. Plus, beautiful leaves to boot!
Can we see the flowers from the front unless it requires you to get down on the garden soil? 😁

How many times did it bloom in the last ten years?
I love yellow flowers and this species fits the bill. Plus, beautiful leaves to boot!
Can we see the flowers from the front unless it requires you to get down on the garden soil? 😁
Three times in ten years. I bought it in flower as a single growth, then it flowered last year (sunburned), and finally this year. Here is an individual flower:
PaphArmSG.JPG

Unfortunately, one flower fell off this morning, so the first 2 flowers have been flowering for 26 days.
I took this short video today:
View attachment Armen.mp4

Congrats! The flowers of this species should last from 1 to 3 months(or even longer) depending on the growing conditions. If you keep the plant outside while it is in bloom...with the wind and rain, flowers may not last long.

Congrats! The flowers of this species should last from 1 to 3 months(or even longer) depending on the growing conditions. If you keep the plant outside while it is in bloom...with the wind and rain, flowers may not last long.
It's kept inside when in flower, bringing it out only for photography. So far the first bloom is hanging in there, so that's over a month by now.

Here it is on the 35th day of full flower. The older flower seems to be hanging in there. Not sure what prompted the other one to fall off. Once the older flower falls off, then outside it goes again. I'm contemplating putting it into new medium this year. Currently it is in a mix of Orchidata, coarse perlite, charcoal and oyster shell.
ARMPT.JPG

I believe one month in bloom is the norm just like other species in the parvi group.
Armeniacum can last much longer upto 3 months but I think that is more plant specific rather than conditions given.
A couple I bloomed lasted about one month. Not a species but a primary hybrid Norito Hasegawa (armeniacum x malipoense) also typically last one month in bloom for me, however, one Norito Hasegawa plant I have lasts over 3months in bloom.
All these under the same growing conditions.

Latest posts

Back