Paph argus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Barry

Reaction score
Paphiopedilum argus

I haven't often seen this at shows or meetings, perhaps because it isn't that showy. Cool pouch, similar to P. venustum.

argus1.jpg

Regards,
Rick

These are highly variable in the amount of red in them. They are not the easiest to bloom either. How long have you had this plant?

Very nice. There was a specimen sized plant with a lot of flowers at the London orchid Show this year. It was the first time I have seen this species.
Thanks for posting,
Cheers,
Tim

They're not that showy BUT a species lover will admire the hairy edges & bold spots, as you said, the veining in the pouch & the stam is interesting as well!

I like it and I've got a young plant since 2006 - it grows happily but isn't a fast grower. Obtaining it isn't easy in Germany too. I think this species isn't offered continually on the one hand due to it's status as a pure plant for Pah enthusiasts and perhaps on the other hand due to difficulties in propagation?? :confused:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

Rick, I've had this plant for approximately 4 years. It has bloomed 3 times over that period. The only other argus that I have is a division I got from Ray Rands probably 8 years ago, and I haven't bloomed it yet. That may reflect upon the plant, or possibly the grower.

Dot, I don't mean to denigrate the flower, but it isn't exactly an eye-catcher when placed alongside an assortment of other Paphs. It isn't particularly large and its coloration is subdued. When I have shown it, the only interest it has received was from other Paph growers, who tend to be constantly on the alert for uncommon species. As far a breeding with it goes, its progeny have been pretty unremarkable.

Regards,
Rick

Dot, I don't mean to denigrate the flower, but it isn't exactly an eye-catcher when placed alongside an assortment of other Paphs. It isn't particularly large and its coloration is subdued. When I have shown it, the only interest it has received was from other Paph growers, who tend to be constantly on the alert for uncommon species. As far a breeding with it goes, its progeny have been pretty unremarkable.

Regards,
Rick
Sometimes beauty is in the simplicity. Maybe this isn't "showy" in the way that some Paphs are. But the pattern of lines in the dorsal and spots and lines in the petals, and the different crackled lines of the pouch, along with the contrast of the lines and pouch color against the white background, well, I think it is quite lovely.

I thought I'd dig out a pic of an argus I used to have (died). It came from Orchids limited. I have a couple of new ones from them that are related to this one.

Rick, Don't you just hate it when all you have let is a memory:mad: That one was a superior example of the species

Rick H

Rick, Don't you just hate it when all you have let is a memory:mad: That one was a superior example of the species

Rick H

:mad::mad::mad:

I also bred this flower, and got seed, but none of the flasks made it.:mad::mad: Double strike!

This plant got pulled for judging, but I think it turned into an argument that it was not a true species and subsequently did not even get scored! Three strikes!

There is one other person on the forum that I know had a plant of this parentage (Mark, AKA Shady-Character, or Machine Gun Kitty), but I don't know if its still alive, or has flowered. As mentioned OL was out of this one, but their last sale of this species was related to this one, and they are expecting similar coloring.

Many years ago, I read (I think in the Orchid Advocate) about a "vinicolor" argus that was displayed at a show in New Zealand...I think....they had a photo, but the flower was too small in it to be seen clearly. Take care, Eric

Rick, did the camera flash washed out the color on your vinicolor argus or was that close to the color of the flower? Also, how's the flower size compare to a regular argus?

Rick, did the camera flash washed out the color on your vinicolor argus or was that close to the color of the flower? Also, how's the flower size compare to a regular argus?

Flower size was average for the species (not necessarily for awarded clones). That particular picture is a bit over exposed. It was a great flower to see in different lighting conditions. Sometimes the petals would seem almost black, and in sunlight it looked more like a candy apple paint job with the dark purple warts overlaid with translucent red.

Latest posts

Back