Paph. areeanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This doesn't at all seem like aareanum to me - I think we are rather in the (lovely) realm of gratrixianum var. daoense!
I suspected as much, but I wasn’t sure. Not a lot of photos of areeanum to compare to. Thanks for your reply, I’d be interested to know if others agree with you.

Hilmar Bauch from Asendorf in Germany has for quite some time being offering P. aareanum for sale (offspring from motherplant(s?) he got from the late Holger Perner of Hengduan Mountains Biotechnology - the nursery now run by mr. Perner's window, mrs. Wenqing Perner, and highly recommendable). Here is a link to a photo of the right P. aareanum in mr. Bauch's internet shop: Paphiopedilum aareanum syn. rhizomatosum

Oh I forgot to say how much I like the very nice flowers with their almost cheramic looking dorsals!

The attached file is an article about the different forms of gratrixianum in Vietnam by such illustrious botanists as Averyanov and Olaf Gruß (the latter ORG here on STC). The text is unfortunately only in German (sometimes 'Die Orchidee' has an English abstract for articles with taxonomic content, alas, not here). But I think you may find the many photos in the article quite instructive!

Attachments

• DieOrch2017Paphgratr-3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Oh I forgot to say how much I like the very nice flowers with their almost cheramic looking dorsals!

The attached file is an article about the different forms of gratrixianum in Vietnam by such illustrious botanists as Averyanov and Olaf Gruß (the latter ORG here on STC). The text is unfortunately only in German (sometimes 'Die Orchidee' has an English abstract for articles with taxonomic content, alas, not here). But I think you may find the many photos in the article quite instructive!
Thank you SO MUCH for the article, very helpful indeed!

I read the article in 'Die Orchidee' some years ago but to be honest didn't keep all these varities in mind. So it's lovely to be reminded here to this Paph. daoense which I like very much. Great to see these photos.

This doesn't at all seem like aareanum to me - I think we are rather in the (lovely) realm of gratrixianum var. daoense!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe daoense is a species... I just registered a cross with Paph daoensis as the pollen parent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe daoense is a species...
In the article from 'Die Orchidee', that I attached, Averyanov, Gruß et al. describes it as a species in its own right.
The late Holger Perner had it as a variety of gratrixianum, which to me makes perfect sense from a morphological point of view.
But I guess, that the taxonomic status of this beauty could easily be yet another battlefield in the trench warfare between 'lumpers' and 'spreaders'!

Latest posts

Back