Paph anitum culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hehehe
Hahahaha
With all the horror stories about this species my money is on dead also. Good job finding one to grow though.

Hey don't discourage me! I have a big one that I am raising. Please share culture tips!

Hehehe
Hahahaha
With all the horror stories about this species my money is on dead also. Good job finding one to grow though.
Just curious...what does It "my money's on dead" mean? Running out of money?

If it helps, cooler months in the Phils is between Dec and Feb. But it does occasionally rain in the forest. This is follwed by high light/temp and drier spell from March to May. Rainy season starts in June. In higher elevations, the temp can go lower by 10 to 20 F, so 50F is possible. A lot of tropical fruits follow this cycle. They flower in April and develop their fruits by May when rain starts again.
This was before but global warming has change this climate. Now these fruit trees do not know when to flower. Some of them flowers during fall now. Some just don't.

Um why? I sold it a few years ago when we decided to move but I can assure You it was very much alive and doing well until then. ;):)

I have no idea if it’s alive or dead now because after I sold it I didn’t follow its progress. Some of you seem to be taking jabs at my growing skills……please be assured it was happy, healthy and much larger at the end of the three years or so I had it. Rather than make silly jokes maybe you doubters should try growing one.

And thank you to the people who gave me the awesome growing tips way back then. It was, and still is, much appreciated.

It is not that anitum is difficult to grow, it has a reputation of being a slow grower. Slow is a big difference from difficult.

It is an extremely fast grower in the wild for certain.... Look at the photos of the wild ones from the wild, they have a blooming growth, one two NBS, 3-4 smaller ones, and sometimes start on top. I would say they can flower yearly... Some are huge, huge clumps too.

They are big plants, the size of roth, sometimes much more. So it comes back to the other discussions, people don't know how to grow them at all, and the survivors are bonsai.

'seedlings' of 10-25cm sold here and there have one source, and they are anitum x randsii. The leaves even do not match anitum at all, they came from a German nursery ( honorable) who sold them as the hybrid... Sellers though it would do the job, and a better profit, so here we are, but as of now do not waste your money on them...

It comes back to the feed, they are heavy feeders, ammonium, and not too high pH, like most plants that are growing naturally in fern roots... Live fern roots has a pH of 5.4-5.5. When they are dead or cut off the pH crashes to 4 or sometimes below. That's why many people mistake that fern root environment is a very acid one...

They need to be kept moist to wet constantly too, more on the wet side actually.

As a certain fact anitum hates nitrates too...

I certainly won't claim to have mastered the care of anitum yet but mine have started growing significantly faster since I moved away from k-lite to Xavier's feed and put them on the heat mat with my compots.

I certainly won't claim to have mastered the care of anitum yet but mine have started growing significantly faster since I moved away from k-lite to Xavier's feed and put them on the heat mat with my compots.
what is Xavier's feed ? can you explain! i have anitum and is not growing or dying

Back