Paph amabile x sukhakulii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
Does this one have a name ?? TIA ! Reminds me of a Paph Recovery.
Sept_12-20.jpg

I love it, very nice form and colour. How tall is it, and did it inherit any resemblance to amabile's foilage? Just wondering since I recently got amabile and really like the leaves. Thanks for sharing Gilda.

I found this info, It seems the registrars don't recognize amabile as a species that is in cultivation...

"No primaries have been registered to 1976 (9), despite this being an old species. It has been regarded as lost, and for registration purposes P. bullenianum has been used, an entirely different species according to Asher (9). Birk (3) also notes that the species grown as Paphiopedilum linii should be regarded purely as a subspecies f P. amabile, although Fowlie (35) does not agree, believing they differ in significant details. P. linii was first described in 1966 from a collection made in Sarawak."

Lance is dead on, I looked up amaile when I didn't recognize it and found it listed most often as bullenianum var. amabile and occasionally linii. Slipperorchids.info lists them as synonyms and gives the following primaries:

bullenianum x sukhakulii = Quinault (registered in 1973)
linii x sukhakulii = Chehalis

That's very interesting Lance, now I'm wondering what mine might actually be. Are you familiar with the differences between the two in regards to leaf structure?

Maybe I should guard it with my life! :viking:

I love it, very nice form and colour. How tall is it, and did it inherit any resemblance to amabile's foilage? Just wondering since I recently got amabile and really like the leaves. Thanks for sharing Gilda.

I am not familar with amabile foliage but this foliage is beautiful(one reason I kept it). It is not a small plant having a leaf span of 24+ in. ! I will take a photo and add it to this thread tommorrow. It was also one of those paphs that put out the mature growths and then waited till the following year to bloom....:mad:

I think amabile, celebense, linii, and ceramenisis are all considered to be P. bullenianum. Take care, Eric

That's very interesting Lance, now I'm wondering what mine might actually be. Are you familiar with the differences between the two in regards to leaf structure?

Maybe I should guard it with my life! :viking:

I seem to remember reading that the flower and leaf structures are exactly the same and indistinguishable from each other. Probably because they are one in the same?

foliage of this x

Inflorescents height -18-20 inches ..leaf span around 20(looked bigger on the shelf ) :D! Foliage is beautiful and I can see a lot of the bullenianum influence after seeing Emanuels in situ photos of this specie growing naturally not too far down the posts.
DSCF0001-2.jpg

Last edited:
What a gorgeous plant!:drool: I like those aerial views to. This plant bears a strong similarity to my Recovery and you had metioned that it reminded you of Recovery, maybe mine will flower soon. I can see the resemblance to Emanuel's photo too; however, it is quite different from my amabile:

HPIM1851.jpg
[/IMG]
It will be awhile before it's as large as yours Gilda, but you're giving me something to look forward too.

I think mine has more in common with hainanense, although it's suppose to be amabile 'Charlie' AM/AOS x self. Matt Gore has a page on this species: http://www.goreorchids.com/SpecPgs/Paph-hainanense.html

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back