Paph. Alex Szabo ‘Pure Gold’ x Hsinying Gold ‘Monarch’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! What an absolutely amazing flower! The petals are soo broad!
A very well grown healthy plant. 👍

OMG! What an absolutely amazing flower! The petals are soo broad!
A very well grown healthy plant. 👍
That is sort of Hadley’s trademark in breeding complex paphs which is what he specializes in. Wide petals and very wide NS. This one is not huge, but I’m pleased for first bloom.
See if you can find a photo of Austin Cash ‘Mega’. It will take your breath away. He told me this one was a cross Harold Koopowitz suggested he make and expected it to be great. I know when to listen... Thanks.

Very nice one, particularly the wide flat petals.

The cupping of the huge dorsal sepal is normal and does not detract from the flower as it presents in one plane from the front.

When I was judging the Paphiopedilums at the past 2020 Tokyo Dome show with Sam Tsui, we saw many huge flowers in the green category. One of our top chosen firsts went on to win the Grand Champion of the entire show!

I can say confidently that yours has a lot of potential, most likely in its 3rd year to reach maximum size. The rounded proportions are very harmonious, which is a very important quality. Colour is typical of these types of greens but the shape is impressive. A keeper.

Very nice one, particularly the wide flat petals.

The cupping of the huge dorsal sepal is normal and does not detract from the flower as it presents in one plane from the front.

When I was judging the Paphiopedilums at the past 2020 Tokyo Dome show with Sam Tsui, we saw many huge flowers in the green category. One of our top chosen firsts went on to win the Grand Champion of the entire show!

I can say confidently that yours has a lot of potential, most likely in its 3rd year to reach maximum size. The rounded proportions are very harmonious, which is a very important quality. Colour is typical of these types of greens but the shape is impressive. A keeper.
Dr Leslie, thanks so much for your assessment. Hadley knew these seedlings had potential and encouraged me to get one (he only had a couple left after his presentation).. I felt like it was somewhat of a crap shoot (as seedlings can be because of my limited space), but he really controls his polination, so I took a chance. Thankful I did.

I agree with the others. It has everything you would want in a complex.
It’s an exceptional flower!
Good luck with it when it’s fully mature.
I would be tempted to send a photo back to Hadley for his comments!
Seedlings are much less of a ‘crap shoot’ when you pick the right cross in the first place.
David

its VERY good.
A bit of 'packing' and it would be champion material.
Ok, help me with that? Not sure what you mean. Assume you mean cotton balls,etc. but don’t know how to do that with Paphs. I’ve learned to manipulate catts a bit so they present well, but not Paphs.
it’s not huge NS 11cm; petal height 5.5 cm; pouch width 3 cm. But again, it’s first bloom and small plant.

Last edited:
I agree with the others. It has everything you would want in a complex.
It’s an exceptional flower!
Good luck with it when it’s fully mature.
I would be tempted to send a photo back to Hadley for his comments!
Seedlings are much less of a ‘crap shoot’ when you pick the right cross in the first place.
David
David, thank you, I did send a photo to Hadley. Waiting to hear back. My photo is not great because I am recovering from my second hip replacement and only today, am able to go downstairs to take a clearer photo, so will post that.
I know Hadley lets a flower fully open, photographs it, then removes the column immediately to protect unwanted pollination so his seedlings are far more consistent than some, which is why I’ve taken more chances on his seedlings. And at one growth, they are not out of site expensive.

Latest posts

Back