Paph. “concolor”

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papheteer

Reaction score
4820DC0E-7C4B-4BEB-914A-20BD7B9A5ADC.jpeg
AA91E0C1-E7F6-4856-8F75-F1ED4B0CF886.jpeg

This monster of a plant is in bloom again. There’s at least 2 more growths in sheath but somehow I can’t get them to open all at the same time. Maybe this time around I will get lucky.

A lot of people think it’s actually Paph. Wellesleyanum instead of concolor like the label says.

I emailed sam Tsui, the breeder, and he thinks it’s pure concolor.

A bit of a dilemma as I plan to breed with it!

Last edited:
..................A lot of people think it’s actually Paph. Wellesleyanum instead of concolor like the label says.
I emailed sam Tsui, the breeder, and he thinks it’s pure concolor........

That's a lovely flower, no doubt.......but I'm another one who has some doubts to be it a pure Paph. concolor. The shape of the pouch and especially the patterns of the spots/dots remind me of Paph. godefroyae......so Paph. Wellesleyanum would be a good option. But who really knows ?

...........A bit of a dilemma as I plan to breed with it!
BOTH POSSIBLE .........BUT I HAVE SEEN CONCOLORS WITH SIMILAR PATTERNS TRUST SAM

In my understanding......I wouldn't use it for breeding purposes at all as long as there are rests of doubt.
Even if you won't breed for comercial purposes will these progenies distributed sooner or later in many collections and might cause confusion.
Just my opinion.

No matter its identity, it's a wonderful flower and a very well grown plant!

With a species that expresses itself within such a broad range as is the case with concolor, a secure identification might sometimes pose a wee bit of difficultly. If seriously going for breeding, I would in your shoes have it genetically tested in advance - if not for other purposes than to silence possible detractors questioning its identity! 😁

Latest posts

Back