palawanense 100-0101

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bernhard Hilse

I bought this plant as an advanced seedling 8 months ago. I bought it as a fairrieanum but it turned out to be palanwanense, which is apparently very rare. It has been 7 weeks in bloom and has beautiful red hanging petals. When I took it to our table show, it caused a lot of confusion but it is sorted out now.

Attachments

• 100_0101.JPG
    100_0101.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 169
I can not find any information about palanwanense.
I think it should be philippinense.

Very nice flowers!!:drool:

Is it possible that you post a photo of the plant/leaves, please?

I have one philippinense supposed to be palawanense (seedling) and multi-growths (I have cut 4-5 growths and kept only the 3 biggest growths to help them bloom) but I don't know if it's a true one or just a regular phil

re; palawanense which is a sub-species of philippinense ( apologise for previous incorrect spelling) which comes from the Island of Palawan in the Philippines. I had a philippinense in flower at the same time. The leaves of palanwanense are 1/3 smaller; the flower is about 1/5 smaller; petals are 1/3 longer and extremely dark red and more curled. Originally I got the plant from Dieter in Bundaberg which is 400kms south of Rocky. He assured me that it had been selected for the dark colour and long petals. The Paphiopedilum Grower's Manual by Lance A. Birk, printed in 2007, has a photo of palawanense. Kind regards Bernhard

Paph. palawanense is a variety of Paph. philipinense which are know to be dwarf plants and small flowers.

Ramon:)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my laevigatum has gone backwards but I will bring forward one of my palawanense which is a very delicate, beautiful plant. kind regards Bernhard

phillippinense is the most widespread phillipine paphiopedilum on the phillipine islands - furthermore adult plants comes in a variety of sizes from longleaved to the more compact ones from the mindoro area. flower count seems to be the only thing that really distinguish them.

Back